Windows 10 last update causes extreme ram usage

Damagepersec

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
Last win 10 patch the one that made the login screen different about 2 weeks ago causes my pc to slowly build up ram usage. When i start the pc it howers around 2.3gb then slowly i notice that games start to lag horribly. i check again and its at 16gb (my max ram) and i have basically nothing open just a game. ddr4 2400mhz ram i7 6700k
Also my pc cant shut down if there is even one application running, spotify or a unsignificant folder open and i press shut down and tries for a minute then goes back to windows which is really annoying aswell.

Solution
What Causes the Windows 10 High CPU/Memory/RAM Usage
Less RAM of your computer is not the cause. Users having 4GB of RAM have less complaints, while more and more users with 8GB and even 16GB of RAM have experienced high memory usage problems after updating to Windows 10. There are several key reasons why the memory usage runs out after installing Windows 10.
Windows 10 memory leak. Windows 10 is experiencing driver incompatibility issues. A faulty or outdated driver can lead to a Memory leak.
Windows 10 and the applications you have installed on it needs a few more RAM memory to operate
Registry hack settings can lead to high RAM usage on Windows 10.

Damagepersec

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
what is exactly page file? under ram there is pagefile usage which is usually maxed out as well at 16000mb but i dont get what that is.
Also now i restarted my pc and ..... screen starts to flash every 5 minutes a grey line like on old television comes from the top of the monitor down and then repeats 4-5 times then goes away for 5 minutes.
Wtf
(funny how whenever i post to forum exactly after i posted i get a new symptom)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Run an av scan and malwarebytes and see if they find anything.

Page file is a space on hdd that windows uses to put files when it needs ram. so if your page file is full and win 10 tries to empty ram to let you play your game, its going to slow down pc and eventually crash. so your pages pool shows as 16gb?

sounds like a memory leak - a program not giving back the ram it used when you close it

open resource monitor (its at bottom of performance tab in task manager) and open memory tab and see whats eating all your ram.

You might be best fresh installing win 10 as something not right there.

Damagepersec

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
Its only when i play a game that i get high pagefile usage - from 80 fps to 12. (when it was at 15gb pagefile and 10gb ram) and everything seems to be going on slow motion.even after i close everything when i type there is a huge delay.
closed it now it says 4gb ram and 6.5gb pagefile

Damagepersec

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
yeah i solved that , new nvidia drivers did that but did a clean install of the previous version and now its working fine.
>>> QUICK UPDATE There was something bothering me in task manager that i havent seen before
called issch.exe , google told me it was an updating tool, so i tried disabling it. Now i dont have type lag but pagefile is still at 15gb when in games but i dont seem to get game lag now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its also part of windows: http://windows10drivers.org/exe/isschexe-win10_23133_07.html but viruses call themselves same name to hide

It can lead to slower system processing.
Programs cannot be activated and used normally.
Often leads to blue screen of death.
System failure or system crash
Windows settings being changed

try this:
right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter

this scans system files and may fix this behaviour

check MSI web or use Live Update 6 to see if you have latest drivers (strange, MSI web sites not loading for me - can find the update program in the utilities section, assume you have a Z170 gaming 5 or 7

Colif

Win 11 Master
if sfc finds problems it can't fix, run the command below in same window (copy/paste it in as it has to be exact)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If DISM returns saying it needs a source file, do this

Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

Once DISM finished, redo SFC /scannow and it should fix the problems it couldn't before.

SFC fixes windows system files, DISM fixes the windows image that SFC gets all the fresh files from, and which reset would use to reinstall win 10

Colif

Win 11 Master
What Causes the Windows 10 High CPU/Memory/RAM Usage
Less RAM of your computer is not the cause. Users having 4GB of RAM have less complaints, while more and more users with 8GB and even 16GB of RAM have experienced high memory usage problems after updating to Windows 10. There are several key reasons why the memory usage runs out after installing Windows 10.
Windows 10 memory leak. Windows 10 is experiencing driver incompatibility issues. A faulty or outdated driver can lead to a Memory leak.
Windows 10 and the applications you have installed on it needs a few more RAM memory to operate
Registry hack settings can lead to high RAM usage on Windows 10.

http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-high-ram-cpu-memory-usage-after-windows-10-update.html - Don't download anything, just look at tips

Solution

Damagepersec

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
I think there is no workaround here, no trace of virus and i max out my ram usage while idle- task manager shows normal ram usage, top 3 programs use 70, 50, 60 mb and the rest just 10 or lower which should get me to around 500mb? so i will have to reinstall windows.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think you could do a reset and keep files/settings. That is slightly less painful than a full install. I know it deletes drivers which might be a cause of the problem. It is the same process as a fresh install but without needing any installer, or to take hard drives out or anything like that.

It may not fix the problem though. I am not 100% what settings it keeps, nor what is causing the usage.

Reset only effects C drive so you can copy any data off C onto other drives as backups. If you have a steam games library folder on c it can be copied onto another drive and reused - no need to reinstall all the games.