EVGA Launches 3GB GTX 1060, Reveals Four Upcoming Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really worth buying one of these which have 3GB at today if you're playing @ 1080? I mean, this paper doesn't mention how much it will cost and at today , the games are eating more than 3GB (ask to the GTX 970 owners which have problems with 3.5GB), but in the U$D 200-range, i would pick the RX 480 8GB for that price, mainly for the VRAM available.

I really love to see any benchmark done how it performs the 3GB GTX 1060 against the RX 480 8/4GB in differents resolutions, to give the client the better card for their needs

Saludos.

For lower end games that are NOT AAA titles, this card will be more than enough for those people. 3GB of vram is actually enough for 85% of games on the market today, but for the most popular but few AAA titles, yeah you'll need more vram.

Okay...

the 1070 features the same GPU chip as the 1080, but cut down.
The 3GB 1060 features the same GPU chip as the 6GB 1060, but cut down.

I know it really marketing talking here, but based on the 3GB 1060 using a cut down version of the 6GB 1060, wouldn't it follow suit to give it a different model number?

But still, will the average user pick the 3GB GTX 1060? or will l pick the 4GB RX 480?

Again, still there is no official price so everything is hypothetical.

jtd871

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
There is no honking way that the "FTW" model will have anything less than 6GB unless EVGA wants to get laughed out of the room. I can see the single-fan models *maybe* having 3GB variants, but the "premium" 2-fan overclocked models? Doubt it.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

that depends on how it performs. the 6 gb 1060 does better than the 480 by a little bit. if the 3 gb 1060 also beats it, then it would be the better buy over the non-existant 4 gb rx 480 cards. it may even match the 8 gb rx 480 card for less than they are selling for.

nvidia said in a quick blurb the 3gb model is only about 5% less performance than the 6gb model. seen no reviews to back that up, but if it is true, the rx 480 is in trouble!!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

only one announced so far for 3 gb from evga and it is the smaller single fan reference design they have. but more will follow based on the article. only one listed but evga always has a ton of models in the works. 2 ftw models so i'd expected the ftw+ to also show for some of the other pascal models as well eventually.

but recall they did release ftw versions of the 950 and 950 and 750ti and and and. so it's not out of the question for a ftw model to be made for the 3 gb variant.

InvalidError

Titan

From TFA: "The base GeForce GTX 1060 3GB with the single ACX 2.0 fan is on sale now for $200."

Looks official enough to me. Aimed directly at the 4GB RX480.

3GB of RAM should be vastly sufficient for people who aren't aiming for very-high detail at 1080p and beyond. People who are only willing to spend $200 (or less) on a GPU are usually far more willing to compromise on details if it'll save them $100 and provide smooth frame rates.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
and if you look at the pricing for the other models. the ftw is only $30 more than the base acx 3.0 1070 card. i would not expect too much of a difference with the 1060 ftw card. $30-40 more so roughly $230-240 for a ftw card. that puts it right at the 8gb 480 base price.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Provided we get samples of the 3GB version (we likely will) that is exactly the comparison we'd be looking at.

as for problems with 3GB of memory at 1080p. Doubtful.
I have never heard of anyone running a single 1080p display maxing out the 3.5GB available on a 970. Higher resolution sure, but not 1080p. Maybe GTA V with a bunch of visual mods, but it's hardly a common occurrence.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Giving 2 different GPUs the same model number is screwed up. A cut down chip should have a different model number.

I know....whats in a name....but it seems like an underhanded marketing tactic to me.

InvalidError

Titan

I was expecting a cut-down GTX1060 to be the GTX1050 but I guess 192bits memory bus width was too much for that. If Nvidia has plans for a GTX1050 and below, it'll be on a die with 128bits memory width starting at either six or eight cores.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Let's just expect ~10% less performance than the 1060 6gb, so its right around the performance of the rx 480. So it's gonna come down to what features are more important to you. Perf per watt vs an extra gig of vram, freesync vs gsync, etc.

Nope. Not on the desktop side at least. Rumors have it that the GTX 1050 desktop will come in December.

However, there are far more concrete rumors on the GTX 1050 Ti mobile which, according to wccftech, should be coming very soon.

InvalidError

Titan

Based on what happened with the "mobile" 1060-1080, if Nvidia launches the 1050 on mobile first, it will likely be practically the exact same thing they are going to launch as the 1050 for desktop.

king3pj

Distinguished
I can see a few specific use cases for this but I think most people will pay the extra $30-$50 for the 8GB 480 or the 6GB 1060. For budget games who just want to play LoL, CS:GO, Dota, or WoW something like a 460 or 470 would probably make more sense.

For something like Folding@Home I can see this being a good choice though. The VRAM isn't super important and a low power option that is close to a 980 could be a great choice since many of these people leave their folding rigs active 24/7.

neblogai

Distinguished
This card will show good enough frame rate at 1080p, not much different to 6GB version. But important is to test frame times- first problems will start here. With all other cards having at least 4GB memory, this model will age as fast as GTX960 2GB, so not recommended to anyone who wants a card to last a few years.
However- this card could be a great choice for professional gamers of less demanding titles, like Starcraft2, or those who play only one game which already runs on 3GB memory well.

king3pj

Distinguished

I would love to read that article but if you have an ad blocker active they re-direct you to a page telling you that you have to turn it off to view their content. When I turned it off and clicked your link again the screen was taken over by a full page scam claiming to be a Firefox update page. Not only that but without me even clicking anything it tried to install software. Luckily I wasn't dumb enough to click ok.

I have no problem with respectful advertising. I turn off my ad blocker on sites that earn my trust. Unfortunately there are malicious ads out there and because of this I find it necessary to keep my blocker active for general web browsing.

Status
Not open for further replies.