Windows could not be activated

dionsama

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
Windows Activation

Windows could not be activated.

If you continue to see this error message contact your system administration or technical support department assistance.

Error:
0x4004F00D
Description:
The Software Licensing Service reported that the application is running within the valid out of tolerance grace period.

This message keeps popping up with a yellow triangle with a explanation point in the middle. I tried googling it but it keeps bring up posts about Office 2013, which I don't have.

Did you activate Windows with a valid product code?

If you got your code from a source other than Microsoft, where did you get it? Sites that sell activation codes for cheap are considered piracy and are not allowed here on Tom's. Also, if that's where you got your code, it may have been blacklisted by Microsoft. Basically, that means that they know it's not legit and have deactivated the product code.

USAFRet

Titan

Which OS?
Which specific version?
Where did you obtain the license key from?

dionsama

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
Windows 7 professional
my brother in law built it for me so I wouldnt be surprised if the OS is pirated.

USAFRet

Titan

Then you probably need to purchase a valid OS.
And I'd highly recommend a full wipe and reinstall with a valid OS. If your bro in law installed a pirated OS, no telling what else is in there.

It's not just a matter of the license key, but where did this install come from? You have no idea.