Screen goes black at random. Computer continues to run

Aesir24

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
Just earlier this evening my screen started going completely black while the computer continues to run and remains black until I do a hard restart. At first I thought it was just a small error and the computer continued to run fine for about fifteen minutes after the restart before it happened again. Rinse and repeat with the screen turning black in increasingly short intervals until it's only three to five minutes between the restart and the screen going black.

I've checked my graphics card driver and it appears to be up to date and if it's crashing then I don't have enough time to reinstall the drivers before it goes blank. My specs are as follows.

GPU: Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 380
CPU: i5-4460
PSU: Corsair TX650
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A
RAM: 8GB

I'm desperately hoping that my GPU isn't starting to fail since I only bought it this March and didn't install it until June when I purchased my motherboard and case. I've checked and tightened the connection between my monitor and the PC but won't have a chance to test it on a spare tv/monitor until tomorrow.

I'm not sure if it's relevant but my monitor is about ten years old.

Solution
Could be the video cable or monitor, what cable are you using?. Can you try another video cable or the same cable (If hdmi) on a hdmi tv and see if the same thing happens.

Aesir24

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
I'm currently using the standard VGA cable that came with the monitor. When I was tightening the connections on the monitor and the PC I noticed there were some parts on the connector that were moving that should have remained stationary.

I can check around my house for some spare cables and the tv we're going to test should hopefully have its own cable that will be compatible.

Edit: I did find a spare DVI cable in my home but I need to purchase an adapter in order to be able to connect it to my monitor in order to test it. Either that or purchase an entirely new VGA cable if I can't find the correct adapter.

Edit: I bought a new VGA cable but unfortunately the problem persists.

Edit: Used the HDTV as a makeshift monitor and it seems to have solved the issue.