GTX 1070 or Titan X (Maxwell)?

Canadacpu

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
Hoping to get some opinions from you guys. What would you rather have, a Maxwell Titan X or a GTX 1070? The Titan X can be had for about $100 less (used).

I see they benchmark similarly, but the Titan X has 12GB of ram. The 1070 uses less power.

One reason I am upgrading is for more VRAM for Photoshop (some of the things I do use more VRAM than usual).

Upgrading from a GTX 560Ti 448 (1.2 GB).

Thoughts? What would you do?

Thenewworldorder

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
If you have a good PSU (preferably 600w) then ill get the Titan, if not then get the 1070. 100$ less is alot and you can buy a 500gb ssd with that.

I think the titan X

If I am not mistaken, photoshop can use CUDA cores to help performance.
The titan x has 3072, the GTX1070 has 1920.
I think the actual gpu performance is not as relevant.
You can probably get more informed opinions on the photoshop performance forums.

Canadacpu

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
Thanks guys. I have an EVGA Supernova 650 P2 power supply. I think my current 560Ti 448 is 240W or 250W, so I should be able to handle it, I just wouldn't be getting any improvement.

My processor is an i7 3770K overclocked to 4.5 GHz, so hopefully that wouldn't bottleneck anything.

The Photoshop plug-in I use is for making HDR photographs, which is more GPU intensive than average. Most things in Photoshop are very CPU heavy, but not this. Using GPU-Z I am maxing out my VRAM all the time (1.2 GB), but what I can't tell is if it only wants 1.5GB or if it wants 10 GB. Only way I will find out is with a new card. Photoshop is optimized for CUDA cores, you're right. Given that my card is pretty old, I thought now would be a good time to upgrade.

My monitor is 1440p, and I'd like to play some newer games, but I am not a hardcore gamer by any means, and if I have to play something on "high" instead of "ultra" I will probably never know the difference.

I do want a quiet PC though, I don't know if those Titan X cards have 0dB fan technology or anything. Can't be any louder than what I have already I guess.

I'm also toying with the idea of a GTX 1060, but they aren't out yet in Canada. At the moment it's between a Titan X for $500 CDN or a 1070 for $570 CDN + tax.

Thanks again for the input, I appreciate it.

Good question on vram.
My understanding is that vram is more of a performance issue than a functional issue.
A game needs to have most of the data in vram that it uses most of the time.
Somewhat like real ram.
If a game or app needs something not in vram, it needs to get it across the pcie boundary
hopefully from real ram and hopefully not from a hard drive.
It is not informative to know to what level the available vram is filled.
Possibly much of what is there is not needed.
What is not known is the rate of vram exchange.
Vram is managed by the Graphics card driver, and by the app. There may be differences in effectiveness between amd and nvidia cards.