Permissions and Windows and Boots.. Oh My!

Xoanon

Commendable
May 5, 2016
I know similar questions have been asked and I have tried looking but I get confused because mostly the questions relate to large networks...

I would also request to make answers simple as possible, I'm autistic and can do simple PC stuff with no problem, but if you start talking about command lines and going through complicated things then please be prepared to explain how to access those things.

Now, the problems...

There is me and there is my PC. No huge network, no multiple users, nothing complex

1 - I have the free Windows 10, I seriously upgrade my system, my Windows is now not active. Information is patchy as to if its a lost cause, if this kills my prior Windows 7 key, if I can reinstall, if I need to wait for an update or what. It's contradictory and confused. Can anyone be definitive please?

2 - On upgrading, I try getting rid of an old HDD (a former Windows drive of 80GB that hasn't been my Windows drive for years. My Windows runs from an SSD drive as the C: drive). My system refuses to boot. I reconnect this (apparently empty) 80GB drive and my system boots. I'm confused..
I understand it's something to do with Windows not creating something but I don't know how to fix it because of problem 1 as I can't, currently, reinstall Windows I think.

3 - I think this is unrelated, but I'm finding I have trouble with my Windows drive (C drive). I can't paste into it at the top layer, can't alter or access some files and can't delete some junk. I have tried taking ownership of the drive with both my personal account and the administrator User, but it just changes the file owner correctly and doesn't change access. According to effective permission, initially a sharing setting stopped something but I've fixed that. Now, according to effective permission, I have full access and own the drive and all folders and have full access. Unfortunately I still can't do anything to half the files, including just paste a file (says I don't have privilege).
Note: when changing permission/ownership it runs through the files and I get access denied errors on about a dozen files and folders, yet apparently it does change the ownership but just won't let me do anything else afterwards.

Help!

Solution
Its possible the problem you had with permissions is also same reason reset didn't work. It was the only way I could see of getting you onto a working windows since it was likely it wouldn't have even let you try to make an installer since that needs a folder created, and you already said you couldn't do that.

You need to ask a friend or relative to make the install disc, it is the best way to get back into windows from here. It can be used to boot into some tools that might help or just reinstall win 10.

Or take PC to a store and ask them to fix it for you.

Colif

Win 11 Master
1 is windows saying its unactivated? How much hardware did you upgrade? If you download a copy of the new win 10 installer (see Windows 10 media creation tool) and use that to install win 10, and when you get to part asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and see if it activates. There is a new troubleshooter in it for activation (see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change). Microsoft trying to make it all easier.

2. Win 10 would have seen the boot partition on the old 80gb as a good place to put it when you installed win 10. Its always a good idea to remove other drives when installing windows as it likes to put things on them if it can. You might need to wipe the 80gb drive if you reinstall onto ssd so it doesn't confuse the bios at boot time.

3. sounds like your user is all messed up, a fresh install would fix it. If your permissions won't let you copy files you want to save, try this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

you should make backups, remove all extra hdd, and fresh install win 10 on SSD and solve 2 of your problems in one hit.

If you have taken ownership of Windows files then you will want to reinstall the entire operating system. The systems security model has evolved over the years. Many files and directories are now owned by the operating system. If you have taken ownership of these files or directories there is no way to give them back to windows. Make a new windows Install disk, remove the drive you do not want before you do your clean install. Use your old key during the new install. If you changed motherboards, it is a new machine and you might have to buy a new license. If you have a retail key you might be able to call Microsoft and get a new key to allow the license transfer.

Colif

Win 11 Master
whats wrong with taking over trustedinstaller, what you mean windows 10 can't do anything now.. these aren't serious questions. I seen people take over trustedinstaller and its sad to tell them they need to wipe it all. You not only user on PC if you only human. Some people just don't care and want full control but windows just doesn't work if you do that.

he could skip the key part and run un activated until he either gets new key via MS or buys one.

Xoanon

Commendable
May 5, 2016
1 - I found this and looked for the troubleshooter. There isn't one. Yes I have a Microsoft account on my system, yes I am registered, yes it recognises my old set up as a device on my account.
Unfortunately this troubleshooting thing is only on some new update, one my system just didn't have (although it is set up to automatically do updates, it can't even find it now). I seem to be on version 15 something not 16 something.

2 - I get what caused it, I think. I still am clueless how to solve it because I can't clean install due to problem 1. It was a substantial upgrade of motherboard and processor, first time in five years (I've gone from an i7 970 to a 6700k)

3 - "If you have another computer" Nope. That's also talking about Vista? I don't have vista and I have enough trouble with Windows without going to another OS. I really don't understand when you get to this command line stuff.

It's also not Windows files, it's the entire drive that's causing trouble. As I said I can't even paste a file into the top level (i.e. I can't create a folder in C:, I haven't checked all sub folders).

Please don't complicate things more until I grasp what's wrong now. It is confusing and stressful (if you have friends/relatives with autism ask them about having their routine interrupted and coping with new things) and I'm struggling as it is.

Colif

Win 11 Master
1. go Here, click the update now button. It will download a program called upgrade assistant. Run it and it will install the latest version of win 10. which has the troubleshooter

2. this might help you with number 2 without a fresh install: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows

3. you may have to do a reset and wipe it all. Just need to make copies of everything you don't want to lose, and then go to
settings/update & security/Recovery and select Reset this PC.
there are 2 choices, but really only one that would work for you, wipe it all.
PC will restart and reinstall win 10 as if its a new PC.

I try to make it as simple as possible. I can understand avoiding linux, i haven't had to use it myself.

If 3 stops letting you do one & two, do it first.

Xoanon

Commendable
May 5, 2016
Umm...

I've just tried option 3.

Went into the settings and told it to reset, it told me I'd need to reinstall various things, which is fine.

Now the system keeps defaulting to BIOS and won't actually boot.

Nothing else has changed, this is straight after the auto shutdown from reset.

I have no idea..???

Before anyone asks, I'm posting from a tablet iPad thing, so I can't do anything other than just post from this.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its possible the problem you had with permissions is also same reason reset didn't work. It was the only way I could see of getting you onto a working windows since it was likely it wouldn't have even let you try to make an installer since that needs a folder created, and you already said you couldn't do that.

You need to ask a friend or relative to make the install disc, it is the best way to get back into windows from here. It can be used to boot into some tools that might help or just reinstall win 10.

Or take PC to a store and ask them to fix it for you.

Solution