IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Windows 10 (Included DMP files)

Focksake

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
Hello. I am hoping that I can get some resolution to this error that has been plaguing me since I put this computer together. I built a computer with fresh parts. In the beginning when I tried to install Windows 10 on my SSD it would crash over and over with many different errors. After a lot of trial and error I was able to finally get Windows 10 installed on my hard drive and boot up. Now the issue is I get the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error every time. It usually occurs within a minute or two of boot up though sometimes it occurs while booting up.

I have added my DMP files from this morning as well as my MSInfo data into the shareable link below. I tested my memory last night using memtest and it did 5 total passes before I shut it down with 0 errors. I checked my motherboard and it looks like it came with the most up to date drivers. The overall health of the computer seems fine when I check the BIOS and I have no adjustments made from the defaults so no overclocking.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. I have never had a build go so poorly and be so time consuming.

DMP FIles and MSInfo on Google Drive

Solution
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html

I suspect something got corrupted during the installation stage, and from what I found out hal.dll is a strange driver (there's a stock driver and then it gets amended depending on your hardware). The above process may help you fix the corruption. (No guarantee though; occasionally it won't.)

There is a way of verifying which driver causes the crashes, but it got very fiddly for me to sort out. It may be something to consider to narrow down the root cause. Essentially the purpose would be to deliberately make Windows crash to find out which driver is unstable/corrupt.
The files point to ntoskrnl.exe (no other info in BlueScreenView seemed to jump out).

With Memtest86+ to check it's recommended a minimum 8 passes are made. What configuration is your RAM? I ask because I wonder if it's more than one stick, have you tried booting the PC one stick at a time?

Focksake

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016

I have two 4 GB sticks of DDR 4 2133 Mhz Ram. I tried booting up with 1 stick and then the other and I was getting the same results in the terms of crashing (I don't have error logs from those times).

I can run the Memtest again as well. Last time I had let it go through 5 passes, but didn't know that there was a recommended amount greater than that.

Focksake

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
I have updated the shared link to include a zip file called DMP Files 2. These are the ones that I have gotten since I tried using just one stick and RAM and then the other. I still get the IRQL errors though I got a machine exception error in there as well. I haven't started rerunning Memtest yet but was hoping that maybe the new logs gave more insight into the issue.

Further on the RAM: how many slots are there on your motherboard? Have you tried other slots? (Trying to eliminate the possibility the slot is the issue.)

The new dmp files mention hal.dll being a factor; the original files had one which could be read for something reason. (I digress...) It's most relevant to new installations of Windows. So with the trouble you've had installing Windows it may be the driver got corrupted.
There is a driver issue then, though whether it will solve the issue or not I'm not sure.

Are you able to boot into Windows to perform any diagnostics? Or even in safe mode? I was thinking if you could, then running the command prompt (using administrator rights) and using the sfc /scannow to run a check. That would be a starting point.

Focksake

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016

I can get into safe mode ok. I ran the diagnostic and it came back with no integrity violations. My computer has 2 RAM slots and I have tried both with each memory stick. I also tried without the video card and with the video card.

I will run the Memtest again tonight, but if that comes up with no errors I am not sure where I would go to next on this.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html

I suspect something got corrupted during the installation stage, and from what I found out hal.dll is a strange driver (there's a stock driver and then it gets amended depending on your hardware). The above process may help you fix the corruption. (No guarantee though; occasionally it won't.)

There is a way of verifying which driver causes the crashes, but it got very fiddly for me to sort out. It may be something to consider to narrow down the root cause. Essentially the purpose would be to deliberately make Windows crash to find out which driver is unstable/corrupt.

Solution