help lenovo ideapad y400, a couple of questions.

alex5523

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
hi everyone, yesterday the hard drive of my laptop (lenovo y400) died, i cant boot windows, it tries to boot it from ethernet, so i want to install a new hard drive, and i would like to know if the external hard drives tha amazon sell are good enough (seagate backup, western digital, and so on) will work if i install them on the laptop, the 2.5 inches ones. i have been looking at their sites western digital, and it doesnt seem to be the same serial number and hard drives they exclusively sell as internal.
I know its not the same, well i think its not the same, but i have installed a seagate external hard drive to my ps4, and it worked great, so that is why my question) is it the same between those external and internal, in terms of rpm speed reading and writing speeds, and so on. i remember i installed the seagate one in my ps4 and it was the same specss as the one they where selling as internal only, but the external was cheaper, so that is why my question.

i dont have any recovery media for that laptop, do anyone know how to get one, or get an iso image, instead of calling the support center?

how can i install the windows OS on that new hard drive? do i have to plug it to another computer and then install the OS from there and then install it to my lenovo?

i dont have enough money right now to buy a new laptop, as you know this is a gaming laptop and i have been really happy with it, i have like 3 years, and i cant replace it yet, thats why i am looking for something good, i send it to a repair shop but they where seling me a 1 tb hard drive for like 180 bucks (3200 pesos) with windows and antivirus, im from mexico, but i want to do it by myself i think its cheaper and i will probably get a better hard drive, faster than the one i had, so i can continue gaming in my laptop

alex5523

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
i found a couple of hard drives, on amazon Seagate 1TB Gaming SSHD SATA 8GB NAND SATA 6Gb/s 2.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST1000LM014) i cant seem to find the specs my laptop uses as hard drive