HDMI TV and DVI Monitor switch both plugged

FalconStar

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015
Hello,
I have my desktop pc very close to my TV and my graphic card slot is connected to the monitor via DVI port. That makes HDMI port free - so would like to plug in TV via HDMI and switch between them freely - using pc with monitor for e.g. office work and then somehow switching it to the plugged tv, so the PC would use plugged TV instead for e.g. watching movies/gaming with wireless controller. Is there a possibility of such a switch? Would that be a hardware or a software one? How could this be realized in practice?

I realize it might be a stupid question, but I genuinely didn't find anything on this particular topic. I know I can use tv OR monitor, both tested and working.. but I don't want to re-plug every time, since I have both ports free.

Thank you so much for any input.

Solution
So you have 1 tv and 1 computer monitor and you want to use the computer monitor as usual and when you want to watch movies or play videogames switch to TV without unplugging anything? I got that right? If this is what you asking as far as I know you can do it with two ways: 1: Through software which is provided with video card drivers (this is the easiest and more recommended way) and 2. To buy a switch (a device that you connect everything on it and with a button you switch between the two monitors.).
If this is what you want please give me some details about your pc, what Windows do you use and what video card model.

AristotleSky

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
So you have 1 tv and 1 computer monitor and you want to use the computer monitor as usual and when you want to watch movies or play videogames switch to TV without unplugging anything? I got that right? If this is what you asking as far as I know you can do it with two ways: 1: Through software which is provided with video card drivers (this is the easiest and more recommended way) and 2. To buy a switch (a device that you connect everything on it and with a button you switch between the two monitors.).
If this is what you want please give me some details about your pc, what Windows do you use and what video card model.

Solution

FalconStar

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015

Thank you very much, that is precisely what I want to do, yes. I am sorry if my question was posted incomprehensibly, English is not my native language and I am fairly new to overall doing-hardware-yourself.

That physical switch seems as a good solution to me, I would feel more comfortable just pressing a button... if that's how it works.

My current PC build:
Motherboard ASRock 970DE3/U3S3
CPU AMD FX-8120 3,1 GHz
GPU PALIT GTX 750 Ti StormX OC 2GB
Ram 8 GB RAM KINGSTON DDR
Windows 7
Corsair VS 550W power supply
Monitor Samsung s24d300hs 1920x1080

AristotleSky

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Hi again. English is not my native language either but you do seem pretty good at it.
I want to make a minor correction to my previous post. The little device you need for your purpose is named splitter. It takes the signal from one source and splits it to multiple monitors. Switch does the opposite, takes multiple sources and with a button or switch drives the signal to one monitor.
You can search for one to a local computer store in your area or an online store of your preference.
Here are examples of splitters in ebay: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/hdmi-splitter

There are no buttons or switches on a splitter. The only thing you have to do after you connect everything is to turn off the monitor you don't use or you can have both turned on for more pleasure.

To try it through software before you buy anything check this method:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/976064
http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN128740

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.