Is the Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Worth buying for 4k gaming only?

SpectralXenon

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
I'm deciding to remove 1 MSI GTX 1080 8GB from my PC build to buy a 4k gaming monitor such as the PG348Q, if you have a better and more efficient choice, feel free to say so, it must be atleast 32 inch, curved and 4k only. Thanks

Solution
If there's a better monitor with your criteria, I've yet to see it. As far as being worth it, that depends on you. Assuming that in giving up 1 1080 it leaves you with just 1, you will not be able to play everything on max settings in 4K. If you're ok with giving a little here and there with some games to make it work, then I'd say it's worth it. You can always add another 1080 down the road when it's necessary.

Sandman1804

Reputable
Jun 2, 2016
If there's a better monitor with your criteria, I've yet to see it. As far as being worth it, that depends on you. Assuming that in giving up 1 1080 it leaves you with just 1, you will not be able to play everything on max settings in 4K. If you're ok with giving a little here and there with some games to make it work, then I'd say it's worth it. You can always add another 1080 down the road when it's necessary.

Solution

SpectralXenon

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

Ok thanks!

TheStig47

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
Sandman 1804:

infamousk12 is correct about this. The ASUS ROG PG348Q is a 2k UltraWide 21:9 G-Sync monitor. The Acer Predator X34, the ROG's primary competition (and my personal choice) is also a curved 2k UltraWide G-Sync monitor.

While there are no curved 4k gaming monitors on the market now there might be in the future. There are several curved 4k UHD TVs however.

The problem with 4k for gaming is that the refresh rate is usually slower, the frame rates lower due to the higher pixel count, and high end video cards are necessary to run them at decent frame rates for gaming. The nice thing about them is that the detail of what you see in a game is much clearer, however, that is the only real advantage they have over a 2k gaming monitor, if they are the same aspect ratio of 16:9.

Having said that, the best gaming monitors on the market at this time for a great gaming experience are the ASUS ROG and Acer Predator mentioned above with a 21:9 aspect ratio. Or their cheaper Free Sync offerings that work for AMD graphics card users.

Why is this better than a 4k monitor? Well, because these ultra-wide monitors not only permit faster refresh rates, higher in-game frame rates but a wider field of view in many modern games that support ultra-wide monitors. A few games stretch their game appearance to get a wider view but most good games actually allow one to see much more by "adding" to the view of the game on the right and left, giving a much broader field of view. This can give one a definite competitive edge over 16:9 monitor users, and while a 4k monitor will give one a "clearer view," it will not help with speed or field of view while playing a game. So, 4k will look really pretty but at the same 16:9 aspect ratio while an ultra-wide 2k will actually give one more in-game viewing area and faster refresh rates, and these really trump 4k for gaming. The only way 4k would be better for gaming is if it could offer an ultra-wide with speed (low ms lag) on par with the current 2k offerings with the high refresh rates (75Hz or higher) they offer.

Ultimately it's up to you. For gaming I would go with an ultra-wide 2k high refresh rate monitor (Acer Predator X34 is my personal choice here). For watching Utra HD content on Blu-ray or streaming, I would consider a 4k UHD TV.

If you are still undecided, do a YouTube video search on the Internet for 4k vs 2k gaming, and you should find information to help you decide.