GTX 760 at 144hz Compatibility?

Adam_129

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
Hi!

Will my MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (https://www.amazon.com/MSI-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-N760-2GD5/dp/B00DIH8OW8) work okay with an Acer GN246HL (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009642)?

Thanks!

Solution
Gsync allows the refresh rate of the screen match the graphics card instead of being set in stone on vsync of old. So if your graphics card is crank out 50FPS the screen refreshes at 50hz instead of 30/60/90/120/144 (for example). And if your card is cranking out 101 FPS the monitor refreshes at 101hz. This constant adjustment makes game play look very smooth without screen tearing (what happens if you don't use vsync and the picture gets half drawn before the refresh and uses the other half of the frame before it leaving a visual tear across the screen)

Adam_129

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016

Thanks!
Whats G-Synsc?
Ill mainly be playing CSGO and GTA 5, neither do I play with max settings for preference.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Gsync allows the refresh rate of the screen match the graphics card instead of being set in stone on vsync of old. So if your graphics card is crank out 50FPS the screen refreshes at 50hz instead of 30/60/90/120/144 (for example). And if your card is cranking out 101 FPS the monitor refreshes at 101hz. This constant adjustment makes game play look very smooth without screen tearing (what happens if you don't use vsync and the picture gets half drawn before the refresh and uses the other half of the frame before it leaving a visual tear across the screen)

Solution

Adam_129

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016

ahh thanks a lot! explained very well. appreciate it!

That monitor does not have GSYNC.

The GSYNC module alone adds a lot to the cost of a monitor.

*With an 144Hz monitor, I suggest learning how to use "Half Adaptive VSYNC" per game via the NVidia Control Panel.

NCP-> manage 3d settings-> add game-> (select Half Adaptive VSYNC)-> save

It will then synch to 72FPS which is more practical. If you turn VSYNC OFF then you get screen tearing, however if you turn VSYNC ON to eliminate this you get STUTTER added if you can't output at least 144FPS.

Using the above method you will cap at 72FPS (VSYNC ON) so get no screen tearing, however if you drop below 72FPS VSYNC is auto turned off (screen tear but not added stuttering).

Tweak game settings as appropriate. About 5% of time below 72FPS (thus seeing screen tear a small amount of time) works good.

Adam_129

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016

So what do you recommend? I can't spend more thatn $200 on a monitor. (new or used idc)
I just want 144hz, 120 for csgo

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

They have it miss labeled on newegg. It is listed as a gsync monitor but after further research you seem to be correct. that disappoints me in newegg. shame shame!!

The monitor is still decent but you'll have to set you vsync to the highest maintainable frame rate manually. Which is more of a pain the gsync would be.

Adam_129

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016

How do I do that?
Or is it worth it to just shell out extra money & get a gsync enabled monitor?

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
you play your game with fraps on to monitor your frame rate. when you find the lowest FPS your GPU can crank out after a few minutes of game play you set vsync a hair below that number to make sure you stay vsync'd and don't drop frames.

As for whether or not Gsync is worth it. If your going to stay with nvidia GPUs in the long term. It very well could be. It allows for smoother game play then would normally be allowed by standard vsync setup.

Adam_129

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016

Where do I apply this vsycn setting?
And are any of these monitors better for price?

https://jet.com/search?term=144hz&page=1&sort=price_low_to_high

I would be paying with debit & no returns + 15% coupon