New to Networking, teach me basics, 3 windows machines, win 7 pro, win 10 home, win 10 pro

Phaewryn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
I suddenly have 3 machines, and I'd like to be able to cross access all files from one to the others freely (like to be able to save files I make on my main desktop machine save on my storage machine, or open files from my storage machine or laptop from my main desktop machine). Using a flash drive to transfer files is going to get old real fast (my current method). I'd like to do this and not open myself to a lot of security risks at the same time. I have a windows 7 Pro 64 bit laptop, an older windows 10 home 32 bit desktop I'll be using mostly for backup file storage and risky/legacy usage (like running soulseek and mirc), and building a brand new main windows 10 pro 64 bit desktop for main internet surfing, mail, steam, etc etc.

Can you tell me the best way to do this in the most future-expandable tech-savvy manner? I may in the future be adding linux machines, so I'd like to do this in a manner which is future expandable. I currently have just 1 basic netgear wnr2000 router, an outdated cable modem, no switches, but I'm not opposed to buying equipment as needed (including building new machines as needed, switches, new router, etc), although I do have budget constraints, so I'd like to find budget-friendly options when and where possible.

I guess I need to start with what services to turn on and how to set each machine up to allow access from the other machines (what services need to be enabled, do I set them to manual or automatic, etc), then I need to know if I need to buy more equipment such as a different router, or build a machine to run as a router (and what software I need for that), if I need a switch, or other items I need to purchase to do this, or if there is a way to do it with my current router, and if not, what routers/switches are recommended as good budget options. I want to do this the SMART WAY the first time, not the tinkering around way, having to re-do it as I learn "the right way" over the next few years. I want to do it the right way the first time, and I don't know how or where to start or go to learn the skills I need to know to get started. Can you point me to instructions and tutorials on the best practice for setting up a home network the right way?

Or point me to forum topics where this has already been answered. Thanks.

RealBeast

Titan
The least costly solution would be to simply share a folder on each computer with the other computers. If your needs become great enough you could always add an NAS device to your network that could be accessed from all machines.

Sharing a folder on each machine is pretty simple. Make a new folder or choose an existing one on each machine and then in the properties make changes in two tabs, sharing and security.

In sharing hit the share button and make your choices. Then in the security tab either set individual security levels or more simply just add a group called "Everyone." Then all machines on your network can access that folder.

Phaewryn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
What services/ports/etc (things I have locked down following every security guideline online not knowing really what I'm doing) do I need to activate to make that possible? Is it going to be a problem that I allow my neighbors to access my network via wireless? How do I allow specific computers on the ethernet but block others connected to my router via wireless? I want them to have internet connectivity, but NOT access to my files or computers. I don't want to open my computers up to every device connected to the network accidentally. I don't know how to make it so it only allows me on my other machines via ethernet but not all my neighbors on their machines. If I go into a folder's properties, tab to Sharing, click Advanced Sharing, select the checkbox for "Share this folder", then it allows me to say how many users, which I can reduce to 2 for my purposes, but then what do I do in Share Permissions to make it see my other machines and then to make it so it only allows my other specific machines instead of everyone? I don't see any way to put in "only this machine with this IP address". By default it gives me "Everyone" as an option, that wont work. If I remove "Everyone" then click "Add", there are no other Locations to select from, the computer is only displaying itself. Also, I don't understand what "Object Type"s really are to know what to do from this point. Even if I knew what to put in "Object Types", in "Locations" it doesn't show the other machines on the network (connected to the router), it only shows itself. How do I make it see the other computers plugged into the router?

Unless the neighbours know the wifi password they can't get in

Go into the modem's settings and block whatever there

If you dont want anyone to share any folders then don't share anything

Dont touch any services, that has nothing to do with it. Disable the wrong one you may lock yourself out

If you want a send to option you can go to run type in shell:sendto / New shortcut, add the other persons folder here (under network). You can then select a file right mouse / sendto and send whatever across the network

The other person will have to share a folder first. If they do, DON'T share the whole hdd.

Phaewryn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
The neighbors know the wifi password, I give them internet access. Is there no way I can privately share my files from one of my computers to another and still allow the neighbors access to the internet via my wifi?

I want to share files between my computers, that's why I am here asking how to do it. My life would be way easier if I could just open one computer from the other, drag and drop things around as needed. Should just use windows HomeGroup? I google this and it says I can use a crossover cable to connect two computers. What method is the safest, works best with two different versions of windows? I'd really like to set it up the "right" way to begin with if possible, and I need to be sure I don't accidentally/stupidly open anything up to every device connected to my wireless network.

I've disabled a ton of services to no ill end thus far. I only mentioned services in case there is one I've disabled that needs to be specifically allowed.

Just share one folder on whatever pc and do what I said above to send it across the network

Or create a shortcut on yours to it on the desktop. Go into it to copy whatever

Whats the point in having wireless if you want to use a crossover cable? Nothing

RealBeast

Titan
I would never share my wireless network with others, I would set up a second guest VLAN for them so that my files can be shared on my network.

If you want to share without setting up users and passwords, and even eventually add an NAS you need to have a private wireless network. If your current router does not support setting up multiple VLANs or at least a specific guest network, consider upgrading it to make your network secure yet usable.

Phaewryn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013

The point is that my neighbors have internet because of me. That was my sole purpose for having a wireless network until now.

Both of my computers have users (well, just 1 user - myself, plus the admin user account) and passwords, I'm totally aiming for users and passwords! My router allows a Guest network. If I switch the neighbors over to a guest network, then that will isolate them from my main network completely? I ended up just setting up HomeGroup for now between my two computers to move my needed files to my new laptop. I'd like a better solution down the road.

I haven't had any need for a network, much less a wireless one, only having had 1 computer until now. I use ethernet whenever possible, the wireless is mostly for my neighbors, and now, for taking the laptop to the toilet, and very rarely, when my cell phone signal falls out and I absolutely need to surf the internet on it at that very moment. I really barely use my wireless network, so it's been a non-issue for me until now. I don't know enough about networks to set this up on my own. I definitely need to keep allowing the neighbor's their access, but I now also want to be able to remotely access my various computers from one another on the ethernet. HomeGroup is sort of working. I'm still struggling with the permissions. I can open any file from a folder I have specified to be allowed homegroup access on my desktop from my laptop and visa-versa, but I can't SAVE the file if I edit it. I'm sure it's a matter of figuring out the right permissions. I'm in the shared folder's properties now, and in Security tab, under Advanced, I open Change Permissions, then in Permission, click Add, and it's only seeing itself in Locations. I need it to see the other computer to give my user on it full permissions on this one, and it's not seeing it at all. I may just be doing this wrong, or I may be abusing the limits of HomeGroup. Is there a better way?

Also, I am worried that I'm making my systems insecure with all this. The fact that I DON'T need a username and password is honestly worrisome. I feel like it should be prompting me for those, and it's not. It stores that 1 short HomeGroup password forever? That doesn't seem safe. I wish it also asked me for user logins/passwords.

Phaewryn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
Ok, the neighbor's network has been switched over to the "Guest" network in the router. I was able to rename the original one, make the guest one with the same name and password as the original, and then do a quick switch, hopefully no one was in middle of a game without a save point, because I'm sure that disconnected them even with the same name and password. But at least I don't have to make post-it notes for all the neighbors, it'll be the same info, they should just be able to reconnect, I *think*.

Now what? I managed to get the permissions right for the HomeGroup to work right, I was missing the step of adding the folder to a library and sharing the library. I can now do things from one computer to the other. I'm still worried about the lack of logins though.

I have fixed the HomeGroup issues, it now works. I have, in the process, however, run into a question I'd love answered. In my network map, it shows an extra "leg" between my laptop and my router. Can anyone explain what that it, how I can find it, and where I can name it? Is this an adapter in my laptop, because I'm in port 2 of my router, or is something weird here?
Here's the image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5k66gms9MF9SHl4eHgtZkxRcmc/view?usp=sharing
(for clarity, PHAEWRYN-2 is the laptop, and PIZZA is the router)

RealBeast

Titan
I don't really like using homegroups, especially over wireless. I would set up a folder on each machine and then as I said right click on the folder and change the sharing and security tab settings to give access to either your specific machines with passwords or more convenient since your wireless is now yours just use "Everyone" which allows all machines on your network to access and do whatever you allow (copy, delete, edit, etc.)

Phaewryn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
Thanks everyone for the help, I ditched my homegroup set up and now have it just shared as a network share. It works in all but 1 direction on 1 PC. It's not perfect, but it is better.