GPU Updates, Monitor "Resets"? & More

Saint_Nicholas

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Okay so this just began happening the other day and I am not sure why. I was just using my PC as normal (browsing the web, playing games etc). Before I proceed I will tell you a few things, not sure if they matter.

GPU: Nvidia 660Ti
Monitor1: HP 2511x
Monitor 2: Old ass....LCD?
(All of my PC stats are located in my signature, the only difference is I have a 660Ti not the 970/980 or whatever I have listed)

Monitor goes black, but I can still see my cursor. It begins to kind of flicker between I guess "darker" and "brighter" black? If that makes sense, and the cursor gets the hourglass as if something is happening.

PC does NOT restart, however...it brings me back to the home/login screen (the one I see upon turning my PC on), so I put in my password and my desktop loads back up.

Monitor 1 continues to work as normal but monitor 2 doesn't display anything anymore. I check my Nvidia desktop app (GeForce Experience) and there is an update. I update, it tells me to restart PC to apply.

I restart PC and everything is back to normal BUT.....it has happened again (2x so far) and says that I need to update again, latest version being 8/15/2016 which also happens to be the version I updated the last 2 times this occurred.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Saint_Nicholas

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
I would like to add that I THINK.....I may see what is going on here but I do not know why. I went into dxdiag and under display the device is as follows:

Name: Microsoft Basic Display Driver
Manufacturer: n/a
Chip Type: n/a
DAC Type: n/a
Device Type: Display-Only Display Device
Approx Total Memory: 8152 MB
Current Display: 1920x1080 (32bit) (64Hz)
Monitor: HP 2511x LED Backlit LCD Monitor

Is my GPU....dying essentially? Then restarting/working whenever I restart my whole PC? Then again kind of confusing because my monitor 1 still displays, plugged into the GPU.

Saint_Nicholas

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Restarted PC

Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip Type: GeForce GTX 660 Ti
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Display Device
Approx Total Memory: 10168 MB
Current Display Mode: 1920x1080 (32bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: HP 2511x LED Backlit LCD Monitor

Still has outdated driver for some reason, so I am going to update that....again...I guess?