ASUS ROG - TN vs IPS

kr1kit

Honorable
May 22, 2016
So as I stated in another thread, I've been considering dumping my R9 390x and picking up either a used 980ti or a new 1070(depending on if I can find a used 980ti for a good price). The biggest thing holding me back is that I currently have a BenQ XL2730z monitor, which is a Freesync monitor. I love the monitor, it's beautiful and has treated me well so far. The issue is that switching to an Nvidia card would mean that I'd be getting rid of the ability to use Freesync. So thus in all this debate, I've been thinking about buying a new monitor as well. The list of G-Sync monitors is pretty low and they're expensive as chit, but I've been doing my research and trying to make the best decision.

I know they're incredibly expensive but I've watched a lot of reviews on both and I like what I see. So my two thoughts are either the ASUS PG279Q or the ASUS PG278Q. The main difference is choosing between the PG278Q which is a TN panel and a couple hundred dollars cheaper, or the PG279Q which is an IPS panel. My current monitor(The BenQ XL2730z) is a TN panel and I like how it looks, I've had no issues with the colors at all. I also sit directly in front of my screen so the complaint people have about viewing angles on TN panels doesn't matter to me.

What are your guys thoughts on TN vs IPS? Is paying a few hundred more for an IPS panel worth it? Right now I'm leaning towards saving a few hundred and buying the 278Q, especially since the 279Q is out of stock everywhere as well.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

If you receive one with backlight light bleeding , replace it . tell them you will return it if it has bleeding.

cl-justin

Respectable
Apr 21, 2016
Although, I currently have a PG278Q, if i had a choice I'd go for the PG279Q . the 4ms and 1ms is not that noticeable IMO and the IPS just looks more nice than TN. I plan on upgrading in the future. Also, initially there were QC issues with the PG279Qs but they have improved it since then.

kr1kit

Honorable
May 22, 2016
It's funny how reviews go.. Recently I've talked to a large number of people who own an IPS monitor such as the PG279Q or the Acer Predator 27" and none of them have complained about BLB.

frank_hnd

Honorable
I just went through the same decision myself. initially I was looking at the PG279Q because it has HDMI for connecting consoles as well. At the store they only had the TN version on display and it looked great. but then my wife actually pushed to go with the IPS version and man... I'm glad I listened to her. It just blows anything away. I felt I had a totally new computer.

If you have the money go for the IPS. if you are really tight on budget then just get the TN version, which honestly is perfectly fine. It was the first one I saw and I thought I would end up getting it.

frank_hnd

Honorable

same here. I know 5 people with these monitors and none of them had any problems either. I look at it this way:
1. Most people who review crap, do it because they have a complaint and look for a place to vent.
2. Most of the people who purchased them never had an IPS display before and have never experienced IPS glow and call it BLB right away.
3. It has been quite a while since this monitor came out, they must have improved their QC.

The issue with back light bleed is by no means overexaggerated. It even got Asus to improve the quality control on their PG279Q monitor by offering a free replacement, but this only applies in the US, no where else. The following serial numbers if you own a PG279Q monitor are available for exchange, the vast majority of the monitors out there are among the worst displays in the world when it comes to defects.

F9LMQS064281 to F9LMQS066024
F9LMQS085294 to F9LMQS085313
FALMQS088716 to FALMQS089177

Again, only applies in the US.

The only way to get a new monitor otherwise would be to buy through a service like Amazon, or other trusted retailers with good return policies. If people aren't complaining, they either got really lucky, or they don't use them in environments where bleed would be noticeable, or they don't care at all.

Both the PG279Q and the PG278Q use 8 bit panels. They are both capable of accurate colors. Majority of TN monitors do have 16 million colors less than a typical IPS, yes, but this one does have the same amount of colors available to it as the PG279Q, if you don't count the dithering. Although it gets thrown around a lot, but if a monitor has good enough dithering, they call it a 8 bit monitor.

People think that buying an IPS monitor is automatically giving them an edge when doing color sensitive work, now that's a myth and without a calibration tool, your monitor is never accurate. Not only that, but if the color temperature of your room is changing over time, it's not accurate either. Really bothers me that even big YouTubers have absolutely no idea what they're talking about, in exchange for money by the companies.

There's no difference between 4 ms and 1 ms response time, they're both made up and designed from the ground up to fool consumers.

My recommendation would be to stick with AMD and FreeSync, there's no point getting G-Sync, it's not better, it's identical...

https://www.amazon.com/PX277-27-inch-2560x1440-FreeSync-Technology/dp/B01HPDAF68/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472126379&sr=8-1&keywords=Pixio+PX277
$389.99
27"
16:9
2560*1440
144 Hz
IPS
FreeSync (55 Hz to 144 Hz)

or

https://www.amazon.com/LG-29UM68-P-29-Inch-21-UltraWide/dp/B01B9IDLAW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1472126507&sr=8-2&keywords=LG+um68
$299.00
29"
21:9
2560*1080
75 Hz
IPS
FreeSync (48 Hz to 75 Hz)

All the best!

kr1kit

Honorable
May 22, 2016

The reason why I mentioned Freesync and G-Sync is because I am switching from an R9 390x to a 1070, and thus I won't even be able to use Freesync anymore.