Radeon 7850 3 Displays (2xDVI + 1 DisplayPort)

Airacko

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Hello,
I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 7850. It has 1 DisplayPort, 1 HDMI, 1 DVI-I, and DVI-D port. My OS is Windows 10.
(card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102999)

As of right now I'm using both DVI ports to connect to two similar Dell monitors (both using DVI, no adapters).

I'm trying to connect a TV that has an RGB and HDMI port to the same card. At first (without researching) I just tried connecting it from the [card] HDMI -> [TV] HDMI. When Windows refused to extend this display I looked into troubleshooting and discovered that the third display needs to be a DisplayPort, and if it's an adapter, it needs to be active. I had a DP to HDMI cable lying around that I then tried, (connecting [card] DP -> [TV] HDMI) but had the same problem as before. Windows recognizes there's a display plugged in, but defaults to "Disconnect this display," which, when changed to "extend desktop to this display," does nothing except give the error message "The display settings could not be saved. Please try a different combination of display settings."
(DP to HDMI cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z05JMKO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I went into Eyefinity but that only recognizes that there are 2 displays (my monitors).

I read the eyefinity setup guide on this site and the closest recommendation that fits my setup is
"Card DVI ---------------------------------------------------> DVI Monitor
Card DVI ---------------------------------------------------> DVI Monitor
Card DSP --> DSP to DVI Active Adapter ------>DVI Monitor"
This leads me to believe that it may not be possible at all to do what I'm trying to do, though I hope one of you can prove me wrong.

So is the cable that I had just not the right type, or can I not use DP-->HDMI at all, or is it something else?

Thanks for your help.

Airacko

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

Apologies for not making it clear, and more apologies for not being the most tech-savvy guy in this department. It is indeed a single cable. There's a male DP plug connected to a male HDMI plug; I was hoping it would work the same as an adapter (being that I already owned it), but I'm assuming by your reply that this won't work.
(I put a link to a cable that is practically identical to mine under the big middle paragraph.)

Assuming that separate adapter is required, do you (or anyone else) have suggestions of a reliable and cheap one? I've found a few but I can't find anywhere on the product pages that states if it's active or passive.

Airacko

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

In the description of that product it states " Connect up to 2 monitors using AMD Eyefinity Multi-Display technology (one adapter per monitor); An active adapter is required to support more monitors."

So I suppose that's not what I need.
I just found this while looking around: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Supporting-Technology/dp/B00EDT0072/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1471896318&sr=1-4&keywords=active+displayport+to+hdmi
It states that it's active and a few reviews and questions confirm that it will support a third display. Unless you see anything wrong with it I'll give it a try.

TRENDING THREADS