Best between VA and IPS monitors???

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Hi folks,

Which is best between VA and IPS? (For light video and image editing, plus basic website design and general multimedia use, nothing professional).

My understanding is that with VA you still get the colour range and viewing angles of IPS, but you also get higher contrast ratio and possibly better response time (is this true?).

I bought a Viewsonic VX2363Smhl monitor which has nice colours but the display is not so sharp and moving images (video) does lag/ghost a little.

I was looking at these monitors as possible alternatives, if you might have a recommendation:

Asus VS229HA 21.5 inch Widescreen Full HD VA LED Monitor (1920x1080, 5ms, HDMI, VGA, DVI-D)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GGQFY5I/ref=pd_vtph_0_tr_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2XV9QPHN9X2Z5M8JNC31

ViewSonic VA2265SMH 22-Inch SuperClear VA LED Monitor - (1920x1080, 3000:1, VGA/HDMI, Speakers)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ViewSonic-VA2265SMH-22-Inch-SuperClear-Monitor/dp/B00RVGYHFK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1471901519&sr=8-4&keywords=va+monitor

BenQ GW2270H 21.5 inch VA LED Monitor
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0157V5VJG/ref=psdc_428652031_t3_B00GGQFY5I

Asus VX229H 21.5-inch Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor (1920x1080, 5ms, VGA)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/21-5-inch-Widescreen-Multimedia-Monitor-1920x1080/dp/B00EKB0I5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471901164&sr=8-1&keywords=ips+monitor+asus+21

Thanks for any advice!

Solution
VA monitors have less defects than IPS. VA can have bad defects comparable to IPS of course, but generally it's fine.

IPS doesn't have 'better' colors than VA, it's got better viewing angles, but VA have caught up to the point you wouldn't notice the difference if you use your monitor as it's supposed to be used. Not diagonally across the room.

The BENQ GW2270H is better because it's newer, and a better panel type in terms of picture quality. A higher contrast almost directly translates to a sharper image. This is why people want OLED.

No, the BENQ GW2270H is the best one and the one I would also recommend. I haven't heard of any updates picture quality wise, but I haven't actively been searching either, so it's possible that there's...

xFeaRDom

Estimable
IPS monitors are the better monitors for Image Editing, as the monitor is made for better detail, rather than response time such as a TN Panel or anything else.

Not sure about your budget, but there are some decently priced IPS monitors out there, and it is only just a bit expensive over any other monitor at the same specs.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks xFeaRDom

Yea, IPS is looking like the best option at the moment...

Any you can recommend for £150 or below?
So far, I like this one most:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/21-5-inch-Widescreen-Multimedia-Monitor-1920x1080/dp/B00EKB0I5M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1471943367&sr=8-4&keywords=HD+A%2B+IPS

xFeaRDom

Estimable
That one looks good, there are really similar ones, but there wont be too much difference. I'm currently looking/waiting to purchase an IPS monitor so I can't really recommend any good ones, but I am probably going to go for a monitor similar to that one, but it is above your price range by 30/40 Pounds, but it is 27" and pretty good.

That monitor should do you nicely :)

Glad I could help you!

Have a nice day,

- Dom.

VA is way better than IPS if color accuracy is a concern. The defect ratio is way lower, and the contrast is higher. IPS has nothing going for it in comparison. The viewing angles are only good for people that aren't you. And even then, color accuracy is just a joke among displays.

Literally 99% of those buying TN, IPS, VA don't calibrate their monitors. This is required in order to achieve accurate colors. Simply buying an IPS monitor doesn't give you accurate colors, that's just a bad joke...

In order for your display to be accurate while you're working, regardless what panel type (TN does have contrast shifts on the edges usually) you have to make sure the color temperature of your room doesn't change overtime, at all, and you have to recalibrate monthly. If you can't do both then you're not getting accurate colors either, not how that works.

And, your viewers are also (very likely 99% of them) don't display your content on color accurate monitors. There are a lot of combinations that affect how they would perceive colors, the display they use, the browser they use, and so on. It's not really something you should worry about.

Regarding response times, well all LCD's ghost. The only LCD's that don't ghost (to a noticeable level) are 144 Hz monitors with Lightboost, and they will only not ghost if you push high enough FPS in games. Desktop use they're going to ghost just like majority of other LCD's.

Out of the monitors you listed the BenQ GW2270H is the best one in terms of picture quality, it's not even close to the others.

All the best!

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks Suzuki

Really appreciate all the info!

I was wondering what you meant by defect ratio?

Yes, it seems like the main reason for buying IPS is the better colours and viewing angles, though I'm not too bothered about either of these things (well, it seems like you have to pay a lot more anyway if you want true colour display)... I'm more concerned with text and image clarity (especially when reading webpages and documents), plus whatever makes basic video editing and watching easiest on the eye.

I bought a 23 inch Viewsonic VX2363Smhl (http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/uk/products/lcd/vx2363smhl-w.php#pSpecs) and I'm finding that the text on-screen is not so clear/sharp and that there's some blurring when watching videos. I think it's pixel pitch is around 0.26... so I was wondering if I went for the 21 or 22 inch version (0.24 pixel pitch) would the image be clearer? What should I look for in terms of spec if I want higher clarity (with text etc)?

Why is the BenQ GW2270H better than the other monitors?

What specs do you think I should look out for considering the issues I've mentioned above? And do you have any specific monitor/product recommendations?

Thanks again!

VA monitors have less defects than IPS. VA can have bad defects comparable to IPS of course, but generally it's fine.

IPS doesn't have 'better' colors than VA, it's got better viewing angles, but VA have caught up to the point you wouldn't notice the difference if you use your monitor as it's supposed to be used. Not diagonally across the room.

The BENQ GW2270H is better because it's newer, and a better panel type in terms of picture quality. A higher contrast almost directly translates to a sharper image. This is why people want OLED.

No, the BENQ GW2270H is the best one and the one I would also recommend. I haven't heard of any updates picture quality wise, but I haven't actively been searching either, so it's possible that there's a better alternative, but not in the list you posted.

You can't trust any monitor specs, so none.

Fake:

Response time
Color
Viewing angles
Misleading pictures (bezel size) are common
Contrast

All the best!

Solution

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks Suzuki :)

All makes sense, and I totally agree with the whole viewing angle thing!

Unfortunately, I can't get the BENQ GW2270H shipped to where I am, so I need to look for something similar. Possibly another Benq otherwise Asus or Viewsonic. I've seen that Viewsonic have VA and MVA monitors - which is best and why? (I've also seen PLS... is that any good?).

What do you think of this monitor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ViewSonic-VG2439SMH-SuperClear-DisplayPort-Speakers/dp/B00U9U55U6/ref=sr_1_20?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1471984670&sr=1-20&keywords=va

Are there any other specs that translate into sharper image? Would it be better for me to get a 21.5 inch monitor instead of 23 or 24 inches so I have higher pixel pitch? (0.24 compared with 0.26). Or is it all pretty much the same with Full HD?

Yes, looking forward to OLED becoming more mainstream and affordable :)

By the way, what brightness, contrast and other colour settings do you recommend customising? I find the whites on my monitor really bright and I've already reduced brightness by 60%. Also, one thing I've been wondering about is where to adjust the settings... as I can adjust them directly via the monitor but also via the graphics card (GeForce) settings - does adjusting them in both places cause conflicts and where's best to adjust them?

Thanks again! There's much to learn!