Unique Motherboard/RAM Issue

Tim_83

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
Alright so this is either bizarre or very simple. So I was having issues a few weeks ago with my RAM. The 2 slots closet to my CPU weren't working and causing my computer to be stuck in a restart cycle every time I plugged a stick of RAM in them.

After getting annoyed with troubleshooting I decided to upgrade all new components. I bought a new mobo, new CPU, and new ram. The only thing that was the same was my case, PSU, and H60 heatsink.

I built my new rig today and set up my ram in different colored slots and it wouldn't boot. So I played with the ram again and took one stick and tested all the ram slots and the 2 closest to my processor did not work.

I mean, is this really my PSU causing this? Is this a coincidence?

OLD System:
AMD FX-8350 CPU
GA-970A-DS3P rev 2.0 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 16gb DDR3 1868
800w Corsair PSU
CASE: Thermaltake Versa n21

NEW System:
i5-6600K Skylake
GA-Z170-HD3 Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16gb DDR4 3000
800w Corsair PSU
CASE: Thermaltake Versa n21

"... set up my ram in different colored slots and it wouldn't boot."
no surprise

"I mean, is this really my PSU causing this?"
No, your new motherboard could have a couple of bad slots. However motherboards are very picky about what slots you put the ram into. I highly recommend you take a good look at your motherboard manual for proper installation.

Often, you CANNOT use the 2 slots closest to the CPU at the same time.
Example:
Slots could be
Red - Black - Red - Black

They alternate colors to help you understand which dimm slots can be used together.
So with 2 dimms of ram you could use Red and Red or Black and Black but NOT Red and Black (unless all 4 dimm slots are filled).
This is why you need to check your motherboard manual.

Tim_83

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016

I do understand the channels and a dual channel set up based on alternating colors.

I did mention "tested all the ram slots and the 2 closest to my processor did not work" I took a stick of ram and tested every slot and the 2 furthest from the CPU worked and booted just fine and the other 2 slots next to the CPU did not. So every time I try to set up my ram in DUAL channel, when a stick of ram is in either of the 2 slots that don't work, it wont boot.

Here's a diagram:

[CPU] [DIMM4](Black) [DIMM3](Grey) [DIMM2](Black) [DIMM1](Grey)

RAM IN 2,4 (Doesn't Boot)
RAM IN 3,1 (Doesn't Boot)
RAM IN 2,1 (Boots Fine)
RAM IN 1 (Boots Fine)
RAM IN 2 (Boots Fine)
RAM IN 3 (Doesn't Boot)
RAM IN 4 (Doesn't Boot)

CPU] [DIMM4](Black) [DIMM2](Grey) [DIMM3](Black) [DIMM1](Grey)

The manual uses a different numbering system than you do.

Check memory with http://www.memtest.org/

If no errors, remove CPU and check for damaged pins caused by faulty CPU installation. It may be possible to straghten bent pins.

It is always a good idea to watch a few YouTube videos and read a couple guides about installing an Intel CPU.