Thunderbolt to HDMI or USB 3.0 to HDMI?

Glivmo

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
So this is the case right now. I have a laptop (HP Zbook Studio G3) with 1 HDMI port, 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports and 3 USB 3.0 ports. I want to connect 2 monitors to my laptop.

One of the monitors (Samsung Syncmaster t24a350) has 2 HDMI ports and a VGA port (this monitor has my speaker system hooked up to it so I'd like to have my audio go to this monitor) and the other one (Samsung Syncmaster s24a350h) has a HDMI port and a VGA port. All three of the HDMI ports are already in use so I'd need to (probably?) buy two HDMI switches.

My question now is: Should I buy a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter or a USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter? Or maybe any other ideas?

Solution
Either one will work. Personally, I would go with the Thunderbolt connection. It's meant to have a display at the end of the chain. USB 3.0 adapters are great (I have one) but may be limited in frame rate; why not use the native ability?
Either one will work. Personally, I would go with the Thunderbolt connection. It's meant to have a display at the end of the chain. USB 3.0 adapters are great (I have one) but may be limited in frame rate; why not use the native ability?

Solution