4690K with Asrock Z97 Anniversary

jeboots

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2012
Hello,
I have a 4690K with a Asrock Z97 Anniversary.
Using Prime 95, HW Monitor, CPU-Z and CAM.
I got a Kraken X31 cooler installed on the CPU. I have used the Asrock BIOS overclock one click OC. I went from stock to 4.0 and got a good temp. Then went to 4.2, was rinning for about 30 mins went the computer shutdown.
Should I stay at 4.0?
Thoughts?

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
This is probably a similar issue to what has been posted before. Here's the answer that was given to high temps on Prime95:

The problem is twofold:

(1) You're running the default test "Blend", which is a cyclic workload for testing memory stability, and increases the processor workload at ~ 16 minutes, thus the increase in Core temperatures. You should instead be running Small FFT's, which is a steady-state 100% workload.

(2) The current version of Prime95 is 28.5, which runs AVX/FMA instructions on your processor's FPU. This code is for high-level number crunching and A/V content creation. Running AVX/FMA code requires significantly higher Vcore, which is why your Core temperatures skyrocket and / or you get a BSOD. You can see the same results by running AIDA64's FPU test.

You need to download and run Small FFT's on Prime95 Version 26.6 - http://windows-downloads-center.blogspot.com/2011/04/pr... - Your Core temperatures will run 10 to 20C cooler.

Also, please give this Sticky a read: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temp...

Good luck.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
well yah. that's the way overclocking works. you inch it up until it stops working right, then back off a bit. i have a 4690k sitting at 4.2 ghz and it runs great on a cooler master 212 evo cooler and an msi z97 gaming 5.

the silicon lottery determines how high the cpu can oc. if 4.0 is all you can get, then you lost the lottery. how are the temps and such at 4.2?? anything to suggest the cpu can't handle it?

how about psu, is it strong enough for the system? possibly not giving enough power to the system so it shuts down. lots of reasons beyond just the cpu why it can't go any higher.