"Cannot install drivers. No intel adapter present in this computer"

Wolfang

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
I have an MSI Z170a Xpower Gaming Titanium Edition motherboard and Windows 10 64-bit. I'm not sure what occurred, but one day I woke up to a black screen, and when I turned my comp back on, my network driver was uninstalled. Okay, no problem, I'll just re-install it. Device manager, Ethernet controller, look for the driver from the C:/Windows folder.

Nope. Let's try again. I plug in a wireless USB stick, get on the net, download the LAN driver from the MSI website, autorun it...and it gives me the "cannot install drivers no intel adapter present in this computer" message. What? Okay, fine. I uninstall the Ethernet controller, search for new hardware. Device manager finds it, gives the little yellow triangle to say it has no driver. Try again with downloaded driver, no go. Uninstall again, run driver, nothing.

At this point, I'm just completely confused.

Solution

You might try the Intel site direct for the driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/82186/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I219-V
Although the one from MSI should be the same.

Try this: once you have the driver pkg. downloaded, uninstall the USB adapter and remove it. Then try to run the driver installation pkg. Maybe the driver pkg sees the non-Intel wireless adapter and stops.

Wolfang

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016

Yep, changed the wire, and the router does work with other devices as well. I hope the Ethernet adapter isn't kicking the bucket, this motherboard is pretty new, just got it in late March.

Wolfang

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016

Malwarebytes and ESET found nothing.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

You might try the Intel site direct for the driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/82186/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I219-V
Although the one from MSI should be the same.

Try this: once you have the driver pkg. downloaded, uninstall the USB adapter and remove it. Then try to run the driver installation pkg. Maybe the driver pkg sees the non-Intel wireless adapter and stops.

Solution