PC gets VERY slow after exiting games sometimes???? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Luke2468

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Hi, i have this annoying and discouraging problem with my PC ( 2x GTX 1070s and an i5 4690k OCed to 4.5ghz) where on occasion my PC will get all of a sudden slow if i quit to desktop in a game. When it does happen I've looked at my memory usage which was only 12%. My HDD light was blinking however...but could that even mean anything??? When i say slow its so slow it take a while for a file to recognize my cursor (3-5 seconds) Please help any help is greatly appreciated.

PS: this seems to happen when the PC is on for a while

Cagruntas

Honorable
Aug 22, 2016
Do you have a HDD as your main boot drive for apps and games? if so that's probably why your PC is seemly so, try using a SSD for your boot drive and other everyday apps, you'll see a massive improvement

It would suggest that while running the game, or any game in question that the system memory usage is more than 80%
And when you are dropping back to windows desktop windows it`s self is showing 12% usage for the OS it`s self as it it always memory resident Luke.

That windows is in fact using the page file, or a swap file on the local hard disk, and reloading some data from it.

So the main question is how much free system memory do you have left after windows OS is running and memory resident.

If you only had a maximum of 4Gb to 6Gb of system memory in total physically fitted to the system it would resort to the swap file depending on what game you were running.

8 GB of physical ram fitted to the system would leave about 5.5 Gb to 6 Gb free.
That is after the windows OS is loaded into main system memory and is always memory resident for the session or use of your system.

The thing is when a game quotes it`s system requirements, for example 8Gb of system memory it does not take into account what windows is using of the total physical ram fitted, and what it needs to run.

So in real terms most games that say minimum, or maximum mean even after windows has loaded into system memory or ram you should have 8 Gb free of memory available to run the game at its optimal settings.

A quick way is to simply open up system information of windows.

Because it will show you the total physical memory fitted then what the windows os has taken of it.

And last of all what is truly free for any other program or a game loaded into memory as a maximum that you have.

When you launch a game and for example when running it uses up to 6 Gb.

Because windows Os is always running behind it the memory utilisation can be as high as 88 %
And windows would automatically resort to swap filing or page filing mode from the HD.

Luke2468

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

Hi, thanks for the response. I have 16gbs of ram free at 1600mhz

Luke2468

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

Hi, thanks for the response. I do have an HDD used for everything but Windows 10 is already installed on my drive...i have no idea how i'd switch just windows over to an SSD

Cagruntas

Honorable
Aug 22, 2016

If you have your windows key you can download a copy of windows 10 from Microsoft main website to a flash drive ( I think Microsoft embeds keys with the download of windows now ) and you can reinstall it onto the SSD but you'll need to save or back up or transfer all the files your HDD, there are some tutorials on youtube that can help with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKbR6XT7fcA , there are better videos than this so you can check look at more on youtube if you'd like.

Luke2468

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

Hi so ive found out its my OC....would you think increasing the vcore end this glitch??