What drivers do i need when im done building my pc

JricardoB

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016
So im done building my pc ( yay ! ) now i still have some questions

What do i do now ? i dont have an optical drive so how do i install windows and drivers

Do i need to format something or do anything before i do these things ?

Any help would be appreciated !

Solution
Most of the drivers you need will be on a web site set up by your motherboard maker for your motherboard. You will find most of the ones mentioned by wolfshadw on here. What board do you have and we can give a rough list of what you should check,

Win 10 when setting up your PC will look at hardware and via windows update install a lot of it for you. Often you don't need to get anything extra, but as I sad, its not always the newest versions so it helps to check yourself. It will even install graphics card drivers but if you use Nvidia it helps to look on the geforce experience web site after and get the newest.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So you have a blank PC with no windows installed? Since its a new PC, you best buy windows 10 as a USB unless you have another PC you can download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB. even if you use that tool you still need to buy a Win 10 licence, that file is just the installer.

Once win 10 is installed, it is smart enough to look at your hardware and grab drivers for most of it, but it still makes sense to check on the manufacturer site for your hardware and make sure you have latest drivers

Once you get a Win 10 USb + licence, you just set up bios to boot off USB first, Hdd/SSD second and run installer, you don't have to format the drive before hand as Win 10 will do all that (I assume SSD/HDD is new?)

If you want a guide how to install win 10, look here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

JricardoB

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016

Yes but what drivers do i need ? is there a list somewhere i can check out ?

If you follow the advice that Colif gave you, that will cover all of the drivers that you need.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Most of the drivers you need will be on a web site set up by your motherboard maker for your motherboard. You will find most of the ones mentioned by wolfshadw on here. What board do you have and we can give a rough list of what you should check,

Win 10 when setting up your PC will look at hardware and via windows update install a lot of it for you. Often you don't need to get anything extra, but as I sad, its not always the newest versions so it helps to check yourself. It will even install graphics card drivers but if you use Nvidia it helps to look on the geforce experience web site after and get the newest.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its been about 5 years since I last installed win 7 so I take your word for it. I didn't even know to keep drivers up to date back then, or perhaps its cause PC was about 5 years old by then I didn't see point in updating things that worked fine.