Dual display - HDMI, VGA to HDMI Converter (Not working!)

KernowDrones

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Hi,
Having read through some previous posts i see that my idea of a VGA to HDMI convertor will not work, so.....

I have a small 19" TV plugged into the computer as i spend a lot of time editing it was just so i could watch the TV at the same time :) Problem is it only has HDMI ports so i plug that is, then my existing monitor through VGA. But the monitor (VGA) is terrible in quality in comparison to using a HDMI lead, i have changed it to every single display/resolution option and the best i can get is a slightly squashed display (which go's to the edges) but everything looks 'soft - Its a 22" 227e6l Philips monitor.

I plug the TV in through HDMI i get good picture quality but its slightly bigger than the screen (i dont mind as its just for watching TV)

As ive found that a VGA to HDMI converter wont work, Nor will a HDMI splitter, i want to know if a DVI cable (Through the monitor) will give me any better results, ideally matching the display quality of HDMI, or do i just scrap the whole idea ?

Any ideas or setup ideas will be greatly appreciated !
Many Thanks
Jon

Solution
Hello... DVI and HDMI carry the same "Digital" video signals... Typically only the HDMI cable will carry the Audio too... and a "Passive" DVI to HDMI adaptor can be used to your TV HDMI input, for Display. If you need audio too? send a Audio cable from your sound card to your TV/monitor audio input.
That's not how it works, there's no such thing as a VGA to HDMI converter (at least not standalone consumer item), it's HDMI to VGA at best, and ONLY in that direction!

DVI to HDMI works perfectly though, since HDMI was made to be compatible with DVI (single link, so 1920x1200 at 60Hz max)

Hello... DVI and HDMI carry the same "Digital" video signals... Typically only the HDMI cable will carry the Audio too... and a "Passive" DVI to HDMI adaptor can be used to your TV HDMI input, for Display. If you need audio too? send a Audio cable from your sound card to your TV/monitor audio input.

Solution

What are you talking about, there is VGA to HDMI converters, We use 2 different models at my work.
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Portable-Converter-Supports/dp/B00IDFGK1W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1472059699&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=vga+to+hdmi+converter&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-106191-VGA-HDMI-Converter/dp/B008CR0S50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472059731&sr=8-1&keywords=vga+to+hdmi+monoprice
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-VGA2HDU-HDMI-Adapter-Audio/dp/B00JQJV2NA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1472059755&sr=8-2&keywords=vga+to+hdmi+startech

Now if the OP has the DVI option then DVI to HDMI cable going to TV is best, he will also need audio input cable as well.

KernowDrones

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

Great! Wish i came here first rather than spending on Amazon, So now ill be looking for a HDMI to DVi. Any good quality one you suggest or is there not much difference ?

KernowDrones

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Hello! Was just about to order a Dvi cable and guess what........ It does not have one!
These are my connections if anyone can think of a good setup to get my HDMI quality back id be grateful.....But if i should just forget it please say.

TV - HDMI 1x, Scart 1x,
Monitor - DVI 1x, VGA 1x, HDMI 1x
PC - HDMI 1x, VGA 1x,

Thank you!

KernowDrones

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

Its a Desktop, any you recommend ?

Hello... 1) HDMI to TV and VGA to your Monitor... if your MB/CPU support dual monitor outputs... you will be limited to System memory use and limits in your BIO's.
2) Add a external PCIe GPU with HDMI and DVI outputs... they make them with extra HDMI or DVI outputs... plus you can get extra processing power.

Can you describe/list your current MB/CPU/system for us?
What are your Monitor and TV resolution?