Installed Memory (RAM) : 8 GB, only 1.99 GB is useable after installing a new hard drive

Brandstifter

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
So..yeah, pretty obvious title there. Been trying to fix my RAM issue for hours and still haven't figured it out
http://imgur.com/a/BKJGB
Also tried things like changing my msconfig boot to maximum memory..didn't work
Tried to set virtual memory..didn't work
The RAM sticks worked fine before I installed my new hard drive but after I installed it, it just borked on me.
Memory Remapping Feature for my BIOS is enabled..but it only reads 2 gb of my RAM..

Colif

Win 11 Master
In task manager/memory tab, how much is showing as hardware reserved? might also look in performance monitor (find link to it at bottom of performance tab)

reseat the ram in the slots, might have been bumped when you installed the hdd.

Brandstifter

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Well, on my task manager it shows the unused memory to be 150-500 mb while the resource monitor showed I had like 6gb worth of hardware reserved memory
Already re-seated it, yeah it was kinda off but now it's properly straightened out. Before Windows only detected 2 GB of RAM and now its 8 GB but only 2 is useable
http://imgur.com/a/AyIj4

Brandstifter

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Well apparently CPU-Z, shows that all 3 of my RAM..which is 2 GB, 2 GB and 4 GB, are listed properly in the program..
And I've read that thread before as well, but kinda lost it when they started going DIMM4 and all that..dual channel and what not..I can show you what's being shown on CPU-Z now

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you give me motherboard model as well? Might need to juggle ram, maybe make it 2,4,2 and it will see it all. ram has channels, the slots are normally color coded. You have 2 & 4 in one channel, that could be problem.

I have to go out for a while but will look when I get back

Brandstifter

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Huh..checked my msinfo32 and for some reason my BaseBoard Model is 'Not Available'
But weird thing is, I didn't have this issue before I installed my new HDD, despite having 2 & 4 in one channel

System Information report written at: 08/25/16 04:25:23
System Name: DESKTOP-3QSEODB
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-3QSEODB
System Manufacturer Acer
System Model Aspire M3910
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, 2668 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P01-A3, 5/17/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Acer
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10240.16384"
Username DESKTOP-3QSEODB\nezi_
Time Zone GMT Summer Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 1.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 661 MB
Total Virtual Memory 3.12 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.34 GB
Page File Space 1.13 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Colif

Win 11 Master
I didn't think to say Brand name.. they don't normally show a motherboard

According to this page your motherboard only supports 2gb max per slot

Dual-channel 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM support:
Up to 2 GB per memory module
Upgrade option with 4 unbuffered DIMM slots

so you would be better off with 4 x 2gb instead, PC would be able to use it all. It is also dual channel which means if you have both 2gb sticks in the 1 & 3 slot, it will work much better. You can take the 4gb out as PC can't use it all anyway.

Brandstifter

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Thank you for your time! Been confiding with another friend of mine who worked at a tech store before, just running a memtest now but so far, after running two tests, they passed

Brandstifter

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Windows remapping is enabled yes and since it's a new HDD, had to install OS on it

Update: Well, managed to unplug and plug my RAM back in and reset my CMOS, some good results at least, I got 6 gb now instead of 1.99 gb, I ain't gonna fiddle anything till next time, thanks again Colif :D
Second Update: Fiddled with the RAMs again, changed their positions and finally got my 8 again!