Which OS is suitable for developers

abhishek_8

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
Among the different Linux distros.. which one do you think is best for developers in terms of stability and performance?

Geekwad

Admirable
I think it will depend on your familiarity with Linux, and what tools you want as part of the distro.....or if you'd like to handle it yourself. Each have GUI twerks (out of the package), but that's all very personal if it's important to you or not. Some, like Debian, are a bit more stripped down to start, which could be what you're looking for, or not.

Fedora Workstation is an easy place to start if you're looking for a place to branch off from (sort of middle of the road). If you're still uncertain after reading descriptions, I'd recommend using a tool like Pendrive:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

And testing them out to see which you like best.

You have as good a list as any to start with. With Linux distros, of course, you could ask 5 different people and get 30 different versions to try.....but it's hard to tell which one is exactly going to be best for you until you know what you want/need, like/don't like.

One thing I would ask is what kind of hardware are you going to be using? Is it more recent, up-to-date hardware, or older equipment where OS 'lightness' would be appreciated?

McHenryB

Admirable
Any of those distributions offers access to all the development tools that you need, so it's really a question of which you feel most comfortable with. The only way to find out is to try them.

Personally I use either Gentoo (probably a bit advanced for a newcomer) or Fedora with the XFCE4 desktop. I like a nice, simple interface without all the bells and whistles that other desktops offer (slowing down the system and sometimes making it more difficult to access the tools IMO). But, as I said, only you can judge which suits you best.

abhishek_8

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016

previously I was using Ubuntu 15.10 and had some issues with it.
My laptop specs are mid level and recent.