Grey screen on boot and recovery screen after changing to custom theme

ThaiNguyen

Honorable
Aug 14, 2014
I had downloaded ultrathemeuxpatcher and rainmeter to get a custom theme. However, when I selected the theme in the theme menu, my screen went grey except for my mouse. I waited to see if I would automatically be reverted back to my original theme, and after that failed I rebooted. I was able to get back to the login screen, but after logging in I was met with a blinking screen that switched between black and grey.

I next tried to boot into safe mode, but after restarting while holding shift, I was booted immediately into another grey screen.

I am out of ideas on how to revert my theme since I can't access my desktop, and I am unable to go into safe mode or windows recovery without WE.

Solution
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - its a boot disc

it should also let you get into windows advanced start up
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
chose system restore - we try this and see if it fixes the theme
choose a date to roll back to
PC restarts, hopefully theme back to normal

could also try start up repair from same menu as system restore but not sure if it fix the theme.

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - its a boot disc

it should also let you get into windows advanced start up
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
chose system restore - we try this and see if it fixes the theme
choose a date to roll back to
PC restarts, hopefully theme back to normal

could also try start up repair from same menu as system restore but not sure if it fix the theme.

Solution