Really confused about this whole "freesync, gsync" thing. Help would be appreciated.

zombiehacker

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
So i built my computer back in 2013 when the R9 280x came out. Back then i had no idea about monitors only being compatible with certain GPU's, i just bought some $150 1080p monitor from my local computer store and went on with it.

Now i'm hearing that some GPU's need specific monitors to work, and upon googling i can't get any clear answer.

I'm planning on upgrading to the 1060 as soon as possible, however i don't know if i need to upgrade to a "gsync" monitor or not.

My current monitors are:

Philips 226VL (1920x1080@60Hz)
Acer X233H (1920x1080@60Hz)

My acer is my main one.

So if i decide to go the 1060 route, will i need to upgrade my monitor? And if so how do i know which monitor supports a 1060? I can't seem to find any gsync or freesync details on any of the monitors i look at, and it's all just very confusing, and i'm overall very ignorant on the whole thing.

Help would be MUCH appreciated.

Solution

Yup, it's exactly that. In fact, many g-sync monitors come in non-gsync versions as well.
Your monitor supports the 1060 just fine as is

As for freesync vs g-sync, ideologically they are nearly the same, they refresh the display based on the graphics card timings rather than their own, so it's like having v-sync on but without the framerate cap and latency that come with it. G-Sync is ONLY for nvidia cards, freesync is currently AMD only.

zombiehacker

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013

Okay great, so am i correct to assume that G-sync isn't actually required for an Nvidia card, but is simply an improvement over a regular monitor?

Yup, it's exactly that. In fact, many g-sync monitors come in non-gsync versions as well.

Solution