File explorer not working properly windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
i am using windows 10 in my desktop. for last 2 days suddenly file explorer not working properly. after turning on my pc when i open "this pc" , first everything ( drives' names, networks etc) shows up like normal, but after few seconds the address bar on the top of "this pc" window starts to fill up with green color which indicates something loading, but that green bar never gets completely filled up ( it's completely looks like as my pc was trying to load a dvd, pen drive etc though there's no pen drive was connected in any usb port or there's no dvd was in my pc), and if i close "this pc" window then when i reopen again "this pc" , nothing ( drives' names, networks etc) shows up and that green bar starts to fill up and stays like that forever and a message "working on it" stays under the green bar. also all icons of all the files in my computer changes to small white blank page like there's no program is associated to those files though if i double click those files then they does get opened by their corresponding associated programs. also if i open control panel, the window of control panel stays completely blank without any control panel items. and also if i open file explorer from taskbar file explorer icon, the file explorer window also stay completely blank and quick access address bar continues to fill up with green color forever. but in this time, i could explore my folders in varius drives and files within them by just right clicking on file explorer icon on taskbar and clicking folders' names under "frequent" and also under "pinned". BUT THIS ISSUE DONT HAPPENS IN SAFE MODE. During this problem i can do other computer works ( like watching movies, gaming, using internet browsers, etc ) completely normal. so i can access my hard disk without any issue. So there's no issue in my hard disk. now to solve this issue i tried to use system restore but the restore operation failed and also deleted my last restore point ( no more restore points remaining now) and also showed an error message that the failure was caused by a file under my windows app directory. also another strange thing that WHEN I TURN MY PC ON IN SAFE MODE AT FIRST AN ERROR MESSAGE SHOWS UP IN WINDOWS APP ENVIRONMENT THAT "THIS APP CAN'T RUN IN SAFE MODE". And also those issues dont occur in safe mode, so i think there's any corrupted windows app or any bug in windows app causing this issue. Also i tried sfc/ scannow from both regular mode and safe mode of my pc and both time it shows there's some corrupted system file which cannot be repaired. although when my file explorer had no such issues, sfc/ scannow used to show that same "corrupted system file cannot be repaired" error message .also i uninstalled my antivirus avast but still same issue happening.
ALSO I USED System Configuration TO HIDE ALL MICROSOFT SERVICES AND THEN DISABLED ALL THE OTHER SERVICES AND ALSO DISABLED ALL STARTUP ITEMS AND RESTARTED MY PC AND THE PROBLEM STILL THERE. "SO IT PROVES THAT MICROSOFT SERVICES ACTUALY CAUSING THE PROBLEM". also after this when i tried normal startup by selecting normal start up and enabling all services and start up items, then whenever i restart my pc goes to automatically safe mode even i disable safe mood each time from boot option. only when in general tab of system configuration, i select "selective startup" with "load system services" and 'load start up items" checked and the "use original boot configuration" could not be checked cause it was gray, after that i restarted my pc and it starts in normal mode without going safe mood automatically. also when my pc turns on in safe mode the problem doesn't happen and immediately after starting my pc in safe mode a error message is shown - "GET STARTED APP CANT RUN IN SAFE MOOD". so i think THIS PROBLEM IS ANYHOW RELATED TO THAT GET STARTED APP. ALSO WHEN I AM INSIDE ANY FOLDER AND SELECTED ANY FILE BY 1 LEFT CLICK AND THE RECYCLE AND PERMENENTLY DELETE OPTIONS UNDER "HOME" TAB ARE ALL GRAY COLOR AND CAN'T BE CLICKED AND ALSO MANY OPTIONS UNDER "VIEW" TAB (EXAMPLES- EXTRA LARGE ICONS,SMALL ICONS, LIST ETC ICON CUSTOMIZATION OPTIONS, " OPTIONS" ETC OPTIONS ALL ARE OF GRAY COLOR AND CAN'T BE CLICKED ). I am providing some screenshots which will clearly show my issues -.
img]http://i.imgur.com/mr4XUEu.jpg[/img
img]http://i.imgur.com/m201ayQ.jpg[/img
img]http://i.imgur.com/cwr39sW.jpg[/img
img]http://i.imgur.com/56PAA8q.jpg[/img

please someone help me to solve this issue.

Solution
the green bar is similar to how PC searches for a file in explorer. I suspect your problem might be indexing. Can you try this: https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/how-to-solve-windows-search-issues-index-rebuild/

Colif

Win 11 Master
the green bar is similar to how PC searches for a file in explorer. I suspect your problem might be indexing. Can you try this: https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/how-to-solve-windows-search-issues-index-rebuild/

Solution

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015

after waiting several weeks, thanks for replying first time, i real appreciate it. i will check that link and try the fix.

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015

for several weeks i tried every fix which i could find in web and wasted like 30 or more ours of my life to fix this. But sir your reply was like a miracle to me and it fixed my problem totally. i have not any words to thank you properly. but i can tell from my heart that i will be always grateful to you and Tomshardware.. I also posted my issue in Microsoft community and had a single useless reply in weeks from a Microsoft engineer which reply looked like came from a poorly programmed "AI BOT" . I HATE MICROSOFT SUPPORT. i am providing the link of that microsoft engineer's reply - USELESS MICROSOFT SUPPORT

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015

totally agree

Jeff21

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017

I have the same issue (file explorer not working, waiting on it WTF screen!) now whenever i see that "waiting on it" screen i get a horrible cringe, I have tried many things and NOTHING has helped, a restart fixes it for a while but the.. IT'S BACK!. This seems like the most promising fix so far, i am about to try this and wait a long time but is it works that would be great. so far Toms'sHardware has helped me with a boot loot on my old laptop that ended up being dust in the cooler and many things on that laptop, now i have a new pc and this is my first problem so far and i trust tom'shardware, so after the fail with microsoft support i came here, lets hope it works. this happend once before a restart fixed it, a month later it happend again i tried a restart it was fine then the next morning it happend again restart fixed 1 hour later it happend, iknow it's not the biggest of things but now i can't get to any of my files WAIT i lied i can if i enter it into the search bar but still i want it working right so lets hope this works, will be back with you later :)

Status
Not open for further replies.