Can't boot into Windows 10 after changing C:/ Owner

ZeroInfinity

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
Hi all!

I've had this recent error with my laptop, it suddenly won't allow me to create shortcuts on the desktop if it was coming from C:/ saying "Unable to create shortcut check if disk is full". There are 2 drives in my laptop, C:/ Which is the OS Drive, an SSD. And D:/ Which is an HDD for storing files. Now I tried changing the ownership of C:/ from Trusted Installer to Me via the Advanced Permissions and it actually worked and I rebooted.

Now I'm stuck at the spinning circle loading screen before the log in screen with the spinning circle at the center. The background color is light grey which is the one I use. I can't access safe mode using F8 or Shift F8

Help :( Any Ideas on how to get this fixed? Its been like this for 2 hours now

Thanks in advance!

Solution
If you took ownership from trustedinstaller you would want to reinstall your operating system. Normally you would not be able to give ownership back to trustedinstsaller. If you boot on windows image and give ownership to trusted installer it would be using the same name but the wrong security identifier and it would not work correctly. Ie it would use the SID from the boot disk.
I'm not sure why you changed what you changed.

you may need to use a repair disk and restore to a previous point in time. BUT I would wait for another couple of hours. If it is doing what i think it is doing it is having access every single file and change the permissions, on a data drive that's easy enough, on an OS drive there will probably be 100,000+ files, and that will take a long time.

Colif

Win 11 Master
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ZeroInfinity : "Will Windows 10 Reset, Reset Permissions on C:\ ( OS DRIVE )"

Depends on which reset, a full will reset them as its same as a full install. The other won't work

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know if you could even run reset, in hind sight. As you took control of trsutedinstaller and who knows what damage that would have done to the reset process. PC may not have the permission it needs to run the files. The only way to know if its fully fixed is a fresh install, like USAFret says.

I have not done it myself but have helped people who have and its always hard for them to accept they did something silly. Some people want full control and windows doesn't work like that.

Curious, how big is the ssd? if its 23gb, its not meant to have windows on it at all - its a cache drive

Best copy everything off C you want to keep and reinstall.

If you took ownership from trustedinstaller you would want to reinstall your operating system. Normally you would not be able to give ownership back to trustedinstsaller. If you boot on windows image and give ownership to trusted installer it would be using the same name but the wrong security identifier and it would not work correctly. Ie it would use the SID from the boot disk.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Once you remove ownership of C from trustedinstaller, the only way to fix it is a fresh install

If anything on PC you have to save, try this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
Once you have backed up everything on C you want to save,
Boot from the installer and follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html (forum seems to be down right now but usually works)

How did you get to this position and why? Seems odd that we've had two people with such a specific issue, i'm wondering if there is a site out there posting this advice.

Daniel_0699

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

Nope, already tried that. I changed it back to trustedinstaller in safe mode but still won't boot up normally..

Daniel_0699

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

Basically none of the windows 10 apps would open so i ended up here, ttp://windowsreport.com/windows-10-apps-wont-open .... i know the website looks sketchy.. never should've followed it. :??:

Daniel_0699

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

I know, it's stupid! I don't mind doing a fresh install I've backed everything up in safe mode, but i've tried the media creation tool twice and when it gets close to the end it says something like "there was a problem running this tool."
I tried rufus too but as soon as i press start it says unable to extract files.. i got the iso from microsofts official page...
Any idea?

Daniel_0699

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

I just followed the instructions on this dumb website... http://windowsreport.com/windows-10-apps-wont-open/

Daniel_0699

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

No, i'm using another PC but it's on windows 8. Does that matter?

The comments do not make for good reading, good luck, and thanks for letting us know.

Colif

Win 11 Master

NO, just checking it wasn't xp or something - as it wouldn't run then.

try running the media creation tool as an admin, on an account with admin rights

Control Panel > Find and Fix problems > Fix Problems with Windows Update . Run the trouble shooter, and after thats done run the Update tool again
run windows update and see if any updates, wonder if its cause you on 8 and not 8.1

Daniel_0699

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

Oh, no it is 8.1 sorry. Thanks for the advice, i'll try that now :)

Colif

Win 11 Master

i tried to find the site that was giving this advice earlier, I know they essentially an advert for that scanner, its on every solution page, but the comments just make me realise no one is taking any notice of how stupid no.2 is. I sometimes use advice off pages like that but only if I know its not insane.

you right about comments, it is pretty sad.

Daniel_0699

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016

Hi again, i managed to create the bootable usb with the media creation tool, but my pc cannot detect an operating system. I changed the boot order so USB is first and hdd is second but no luck... I did see an option in the advanced troubleshooting that says boot from USB/DVD so i clicked that, comes up with my usb stick (sandisk) but then i get this error... 0xc000000f "your pc needs a repair because a required device isn't connected or can't be accessed"
which apparently has something to do with the HDD.
Is this still because of the ownership thing?? can i just wipe the C: drive clean? would that even help?

Btw i've tried to boot in legacy and uefi with all sorts of boot orders and get the same outcome:??:

TRENDING THREADS