How to fix Windows 10 Fatal Update Error C00000D4

xMakaSoul

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
I keep getting this error everytime i boot my pc.

It started like 6 weeks ago and it was a different error I couldn't figure it out so i clean installed windows 10 on it again. It went good for a while but after a few weeks it started again.. I tried troubleshooting windows update and I tried reboot repair but it didn't work...

I hope one of you can help me out and help me fix this problem, it's getting really annoying now

Solution

notlim981

Distinguished

Ok, so one reason you are probably getting such error code is because windows update is practically incapable of using more than one disk volume. SXS (a Windows component) is mainly to blame for this. When "Program Files" does not reside on system volume where sxs directory sits (C:\Windows\WinSXS), it will simply throw hands in the air and proceed to do completely silly stuff.

In spite of your stuff being on the HDD, do you have both Program Files and Program Files x86 folders on the SSD?

xMakaSoul

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

Yes I do have both those folders on the SSD

notlim981

Distinguished

Ok, good. So now try cleaning the Windows Update cache files. Open File Explorer, click This PC, right click C:\, Properties, disk cleanup, system files, select windows update box and ok.

xMakaSoul

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
I don't see a windows update one, i do see something like earlier windows installations and temporary windows installations. (im running windows on a different language) Should i check those?

notlim981

Distinguished

It's ok to check all boxes in there, those are all temporary files anyway.

xMakaSoul

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

Okay so i did that, wan't me to do anything else before i reboot the pc?

notlim981

Distinguished

Not at all, please reboot and let me know how it goes.

xMakaSoul

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

It's sadly still giving me the error message..

notlim981

Distinguished

When exactly does this error appear? Does it appear in the form of a BSOD?

xMakaSoul

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

No it appears after i boot the pc it says installing update ... of ... and then it says
update .... of .... Fatal Update Error C00000D4

It then uninstalls the updates again and reboots

notlim981

Distinguished

Install CCleaner on your PC and scan the Registry for errors, and reboot. Let me know how it goes.

xMakaSoul

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

Same story again :(

Start here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/fatal-error-c00000d4-applying-update-operation-872/3f5fe180-37be-4b7c-9d1d-99172188bcf1?auth=1

Roughly half way down the page:
I would suggest you to follow some methods which helps you resolve the issue.

Method 1: Perform a SFC scan (System file checker) scan.

Method 2: Run the DISM tool and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X and select the Command prompt (admin)
    In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, enter the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.
    Run Windows Update again.

xMakaSoul

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

The first one told me it found some problems and couldn't fix all of them, i then tried the commannd it said on the windows help page but nothing happened.

The second gave me this error:

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

notlim981

Distinguished

Have you updated to version 1607 (anniversary update)? If so you should backup your data and perform a clean install of version 1607 and see how it goes, if the same happens we can start to thing it's something wrong hardware wise.

xMakaSoul

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

I do not have that version im on 1511

notlim981

Distinguished

Well you should install version 1607 as it contains a lot of new fixes.

xMakaSoul

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

How am I able to install it if I keep getting error messages everytime i try to update

notlim981

Distinguished

You may create a bootable USB stick with the latest ISO available with the Windows Creation Tool linked below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

You must use a USB thumb stick of at least 4GB of space for that. Good luck.

xMakaSoul

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

I have it on the USB now, will i lose all my programs if i update it this way or not? Just want to make sure else ill back up my latest stuff too