Win 10 frozes with 100% disk usage

ACGeek

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
Hello!

I have a toshiba l850-13q laptop, with an i5-2450m 6gb ram and a hd7670m. I recently bought an OCZ Trion 150 250GB ssd for my operating system and with that I installed win 10 (with a fresh win 8 installation, upgrade to win 10 and a full restore)

My problem is somethimes the disk usage goes up to 100% and the system frozes. In the task manager I see the usage, but the average respons time is 0 and the read and write speeds are 0 too. There isn't any process which using the disk this much. The froze stays about 30 seconds and goes away like nothing happend but it is very fustrating. I have a screenshot of the task manager window
lioo7

I dont know what cause that and how can i fix this. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

notlim981

Distinguished
Do you game on that laptop? Steam usually updates games silently which makes HDD and Etheret/Wifi activities to skyrocket. Also scan your pc with Windows Defender to make sure there are no viruses and/or malware.

ACGeek

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

I dont have steam installed, and the windows defender is off. :(

notlim981

Distinguished

Why is it off? Do you have an anti-virus installed? I strongly recommend you to turn Windows Defender on and install Malwarebytes along with it. Please scan your pc and make sure there are no viruses or any malware so we can narrow down our options to solve your problem.

ACGeek

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

Yes I have a third party antivirus software, and i'm sure i dont have any viruses (as sure as anyone can sure about that) :)

pedrojmartm

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

Yes... instal Ubuntu! that´s all.

notlim981

Distinguished
One thing you can try is backup all your data and perform a clean install using Windows 10 1607 (anniversary update edition). You can find the ISO in the link that follows: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Let us know how it goes.

atom032

Reputable
Aug 26, 2016
Hello, I've just registered to say I'm having the same problem and everything started with the 1607 update. I've tried many solutions (disabling suggestions, using services.msc or taskschd.msc) but none of these worked.

TRENDING THREADS