Black screen with flashing underscore when booting Windows 10

New8

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
This issue has been going on for weeks now. Hopefully someone here can help me!

System Specs:
Motherboard: H55M-LE
CPU: Intel i7-870 @ 2.93GHz
GPU: GTX 750Ti
RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 667Mz

tl;dr at the end
I've been unable to use my computer because it boots to a black screen with a flashing underscore. Windows 10 has, for a few days, been giving me warnings about Hard Drive failure, so I thought I would go and buy a replacement at the weekend. The Hard Drive died before I could replace it, and every time I tried to boot Windows 10 it came to the black screen with the blinking underscore. I tried doing a fresh install of Windows 10 off of USB, and every time I booted it came to a blank blue screen which it never progressed past. So I loaded a DVD copy of Windows 10 (The DVD was scratched, and I'm about 80% sure that's why it didn't work), it started working but froze at 74% every single time (I must have tried at least 10 times).
I bought a new Hard Drive to replace the old one, and attempted a Windows installation via DVD. It kept pausing at 74%, which sucked. I took out the Hard Drive and put it in another computer, attempted to install Windows off a USB, it got to 100% and I was able to use it as a working computer. Great! So I take the Hard Drive, put it back into the original computer, and boot from it. Nothing, just a black screen with a flashing underscore. I disconnected the other drives and USB devices, still nothing.

tl;dr Windows boots to black screen with flashing underscore, replacing the Hard Drive did nothing.

Unless the hardware is exactly the same, you cant install windows from one computer and then put it into a another.

Worse then that, if you activated windows (so if you had an Ethernet cable plugged into the computer, or had wifi connected) you now just registered your license key to the motherboard you installed it to, and it wont work to the motherboard you chose.

Why on earth did you not just install to USB using your computer?

New8

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014

"I tried doing a fresh install of Windows 10 off of USB, and every time I booted it came to a blank blue screen which it never progressed past"