Looking for Advice on Upgrade or New Build

Zekerbox

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
First things first I will detail my current system.

I am looking to improve my 4k gaming performance and I'm not sure what the best use of my upgrade budget is. I usually upgrade every 12-18 months to try and stay ahead of the curve. figure now is a good time since my graphics card still has some value to sell used, and the new cards have gone past their initial hype pricing.

My budget for an upgrade is 1000-1500 dollars. I would like to purchase everything on Amazon and/or Newegg.

Couple ideas I had:

• ■ keep everything the same and upgrade my graphics card only with a gtx1080 or Titan X (pascal).
    ■ Upgrade my mobo, ram and CPU and go SLI with another 980ti.
    ■ build a whole new system and sell my current rig.

I am looking for opinions or recommendations on how to proceed, or not to proceed if I should just stick with what I have! If you couldn't already tell I use this computer for gaming.

Thanks!

There is no point in upgrading your CPU/MB. The difference with skylake on the same clock is next to none.
The SLI is not a perfect solution.
If I was you, and really felt that i need more graphics power, I'd pick a GTX 1080 (none of your monitors is 4K and 1080 will do excellent on any of them).
And get a decent PSU like Corsair RM750x or RM650x.
The Titan is pointless unless you really have to throw away the money.

Since the i5 3570K is more than capable of pushing a GTX 1080 or Titan X to its outer limits, I would recommend buying either of one those and be done with it. SLI sounds nice, but in reality it doesn't work that well. You could consider getting an i7 to replace the CPU, if you feel you might be running out of cores to put to use. For example BF4 is heavy on the i5, but it still manages to crush it, even better if it is overclocked.

edit: and get a decent PSU!

Zekerbox

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

Actually my main monitor is 4k and gsync.

So I've been gaming in 4k with the 980ti.

One thing I can take away from everyones responses so far is that my CPU/MOBO are not needing upgraded. I was looking at most benchmarks and for gaming there is not much improvement going to skylake.

FYI i updated my rig to reflect my RAM

Zekerbox

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

Except for BF4 (i don't play anymore) i rarely get my CPU usage over 40% so I agree with you on sticking with the 3570k.

My bad :) IDK why, i thought it 1440p.
Anyway, your monitor is 60Hz, so GTX 1080 will do around that in most games - my recommendation remains the same GPU + PSU.
Next year we will have monitors with DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0b that will do 100+ on 3440x1440 and 4K.

Zekerbox

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

Good point. I definitly want to get rid of the PSU. I also agree with you that SLI is not a great solution, I have had several multi-gpu systems in the past and was never happy with the game support/ driver support and or performance. That's why I considered the titan x as a god mode single card solution.

Here is the parts list

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($104.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($654.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($654.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1494.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-25 15:53 EDT-0400

Better cooler to push CPU to its limits.

Zekerbox

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

Don't you think the Titan X would be a better solution long term for 4k gaming? I would get way more video ram since SLI does not combine the RAM.

The Titan cost is 1200$
For that price you can get 1080 now, and 1180 in less than a year
the 1180 will outperfrom the titan.
Anyway, titan can not do much more than 60FPS... don't know how about you, i prefer my games and monitors to do over 75FPS.

Zekerbox

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016

That's a good point about the titan. The titan is definitely not a value in the price to performance realm.

The Titan X is the best single GPU at the moment for 4k. SLI performs better in theory, but there is not always good sli support, especially at 4k. Also 4k is still bound to 60 hz refresh rates, any fps above is nice for benchmarks but cannot be displayed by a screen.
In a year any hardware will be bested by the next best thing, this will be the same in a year.

^ the point is that titan does not deliver 150 FPS at 4K.
it does few frames more than 1080.
both are below 60FPS, but high enough for decent gaming.
Next year 1180 or whatever they call it will do better than that.
so that's why i say that titan is good only if you really have nothing to do with that money.

I partially agree, yes, the gtx 1080 is better bang for your buck. But the Titan X is not just a few fps faster, it is considerably faster. On average about 25% faster, on some games of course only a few fps, but on some games definitely a big difference on 4k. If it is worth the extra price tag of course is up to the buyer.