Native Resolution Changed with New GPU?

Its a Travisty

Commendable
May 3, 2016
So I just upgraded from a GTX 650 ti to a GTX 780 ti, and after the struggle of re-routing cables and finally getting everything booted up and up to date driver-wise, my (1080p) monitor seems to have decided that it's native resolution is now 1360x768. The only differences with the PC are the gpu, gpu drivers, and the cable going from the PC to the monitor. At first I figured it was the drivers, but that doesn't seem to be it. To elaborate on the cable - I used to use a VGA cable for 1080p60hz, (not sure if VGA actually officially supports that, but it looked pretty dam clear and certainly didn't look lower than 60hz), since the 780 ti does not have a VGA port, I plugged in a HDMI cable instead. However, for some reason windows detected it as DVI-HDMI. I also have no option to change the resolution in windows, I have to force it through the NVIDIA control panel and then, when I do get 1080p, it's both extremley pixelated and 'splodgy' compared to what it was, and stretched out past the edges of the screen.

I'm honestly clueless as to how I could fix this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's also worth mentioning that when I go into a game, it seems to go to 1080p but it seems... wrong? It looks more like 720p to my eyes and the colours seem way off. It also nearly seems like the GPU actually isn't rendering the game properly as the textures look different to how they did on the gpu and VGA cable.

Solution
I guess for the time being the best thing to do will be use a DVI-I to VGA adapter. Check with old cards, you may already have one.

They look like this.
31bHvdI5ILL.jpg

Image from amazon via google.

The xbox may have looked better simply by being designed for use on a TV.
With HDMI, you may need to scroll down in the list to get 1920 x 1080. You should also set the color range to full instead of limited(this may help the color). Last off, you may need to adjust your overscan settings in the monitor or video card drivers.

If you want to use VGA(not recommended[no hdcp for some HD videos], but easily able to handle 1920 x 1080 @ 60hz), you can use a DVI-I to VGA adapter(most video cards come with one.).

Please note that new video card have started to drop VGA support, but the 780ti should still have it(DVI port closest to the board.).

Its a Travisty

Commendable
May 3, 2016
Yes I have selected 1920x1080, that's my issue. It's selected, and technically working. But for some reason is much, much lower quality than what I was getting before AND streched passed the screen. The monitors native resolution came up as 1920x1080 on my 650 ti, but seems to have changed native for some reason with the gpu change. I messed around with the desktop scaling/over/underpass features in the NVIDIA control panel too - I am able to make it fit to the screen, but this doesn't fix the unexplained 'low quality' 1080p.

Its a Travisty

Commendable
May 3, 2016
No I don't sadly. I'm fairly confident it isn't the HDMI on the monitor as I use the same HDMI cable on the same port to run my Xbox One. It is clear as day when I use it, though it may have a slight over/underscan as I vaguely remember having to adjust the 'safe zone' on the xbox one. But that doesn't really explain the low quality. I could probably deal with the lost edges of the screen if I could fix the quality.

Unfourtunatley I couldn't really tell you what monitor I have - it's some generic Palsonic. Crrtainly isn't the greatest but it's gotten the job done so far with no issues. (Got it for free from a friend when my last monitor died).

The problem is that overscan will actually lower the quality because you are stretching over 1920 x 1080 over a larger area.

Did you check to ensure you are on full range instead of limited. That does effect the color.

Top full and bottom limited(looks more washed out).
10elj6r.jpg

Its a Travisty

Commendable
May 3, 2016
Yeah, I figured that's part of the lower quality, but it seems like it's a lot lower than it would be just from the little bit of extra stretching taking place. The colours I'm TOO worried about - it's most probably just that windows sucks at keeping colour profiles with new hardware and such, but yes, it is set to full.

The reason overscan sucks is because you have a limited number of pixels on screen. This tends to add blur.

Even under ideal circumstances(making an image 2 x height and 2 x width) you could get decent image, but it all depends on the upscale used.

Here are some examples from another thread.
10f1ero.jpg

EDIT. here is a small 20% increase with a basic resample.
4ih7cw.jpg

You just can not make a single pixel 20% bigger since you can only move in one pixel increments.

Please check your monitor/tv options to see if you can disable overscan.

Its a Travisty

Commendable
May 3, 2016
I have looked through the monitor options. No overscan options. I tried changing the aspect ratio and levels of zoom as well, for some reason that didn't do anything. There not really any other options other than brightness and contrast.

I guess for the time being the best thing to do will be use a DVI-I to VGA adapter. Check with old cards, you may already have one.

They look like this.
31bHvdI5ILL.jpg

Image from amazon via google.

The xbox may have looked better simply by being designed for use on a TV.

Solution