All my programs are not responding, can't figure out why.

MikeD1996

Honorable
Jun 16, 2015
Recently all my programs I open, ranging anywhere from the steam app to task manager just are not responding when launched, forcing me to restart my pc for it work. I can't play any games at all which is really frustrating with the new WoW expansion coming out Tuesday. I've tried resetting my pc to factory numerous times, doing whatever microsoft support told me to do, and I can't figure out the issue. The other day I noticed my disk usage was at 100% for my HDD and SSD and managed to fix that and thought that would stop the not responding, but now it's back. I was playing H1Z1 and my memory usage spiked from 27% (normal idle usage for me 8GB of RAM) to 95%, I don't believe it was ever that high when opening H1Z1 or any game. I have no idea what to do, any help would be appreciated I can give any info required.

Solution
My son's PC had a similar issue. The problem was that the HDD was slowly dying and having bad sectors everywhere. So most programs had problems loading as the PC got read errors. Almost every application was "Not Responding". Buying a new HDD fixed that. Good luck!

MikeD1996

Honorable
Jun 16, 2015

Okay will do, is there a true difference between running scans in safe mode and not? Can something slip by a normal scan in windows defender and anti malware bytes that wouldn't make it through a safemode scan?

br00n0

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
My son's PC had a similar issue. The problem was that the HDD was slowly dying and having bad sectors everywhere. So most programs had problems loading as the PC got read errors. Almost every application was "Not Responding". Buying a new HDD fixed that. Good luck!

Solution