HTPC for friend

mitchi270500

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
Hi,

I'm building a HTPC for a friend and I wanted your opinion on this build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($30.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card ($223.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone ML07B HTPC Case ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Silverstone 450W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $732.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-26 19:25 EDT-0400

thanks in advance.

Edited post to include full PCPartpicker parts list.
Lutfij

That build is reasonable, but I have a few suggestions:

1. Intel HD530 graphics is good enough to play HD movies.
Only if you will be playing faster games would you actually need a discrete graphics card.
You can always add one later.

2. Always buy a 2 stick ram kit that gives you faster dual channel operation. That is more important if you will be using integrated graphics.

3. You will not be heavily multitasking.
I think a less expensive I3-6100 would perform better because of the higher clock speed.

4. Plan on a 240gb Samsung evo for windows. It makes everything so much quicker.

5. As to a drive for media, consider how large it needs to be. I might go larger.
WD blue is good but you might consider WD red also.
Here is an article on the different wd options:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Understanding-the-WD-Rainbow-674/#CEAVDrives

6. For a media center pc, try to make it as quiet as possible.
You might prefer lower speed Noctua 120mm fans for cooling.
If you decide you want discrete graphics, buy one that sips power.

Another thought:
If you need a cable card tv adapter, that will use up the only available pcie slot on a ITX motherboard.

All motherboards will have Ethernet connectivity.
But if you need wifi, it might be better to buy a ITX motherboard with wifi included.
Otherwise you may need to use a weak usb dongle for wifi.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED
1- This case is compact you need a cooler , the best for this is :

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK PALLAS 56.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($40.55 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.39 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Turbo Video Card ($269.99 @ B&H)
Case: Silverstone ML07B HTPC Case ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $970.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-26 17:27 EDT-0400

and choose 2 fans from :

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/VwMFf7/prolimatech-case-fan-ultrasleekvortex12fan

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/M6RFf7/scythe-case-fan-sy1212sl12h

This case needs SLIM 15mm fans

tell me about your budget

g-unit1111

Titan

Even on a mini ITX rig you don't really need an aftermarket cooler for a locked CPU. You can save $40 there.

This is a build I would suggest for a $1K HTPC build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.39 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.49 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING Video Card ($249.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $971.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-26 17:55 EDT-0400

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

nice build , but this case is very tight , if you want temps to stay low , you need that heatsink . and HTPC normally are located under TV or inside a TV closet , not very Good Air flow ..

That node case is cool by the way nice choice .

g-unit1111

Titan

No you don't. Again, the stock cooler is fine for locked CPUs even in builds with cases that small. I run a similar build in a Silverstone Raven and I notice no difference between my Noctua L9i and the stock Intel cooler.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

Thats why I chosen the Pallas .. 6 heatpipes cooler .. The Noctua L9i is very small 2 pipes cooler not comparable at all.

g-unit1111

Titan

But you still really don't need either. If overclocking was involved then yes I would get a better cooler. But on a locked CPU you don't need it.

Lutfij

Titan
Samer1970,
That yet doesn't shine light on spending more for an aftermarket cooler for a processor that cannot benefit much over aftermarket cooling since the stock bundled cooler works more adequate and will be out of sight in that chassis unless the side panel is left open in which case you have plenty of cooler ambient air fed to the cooler. You're justification for an aftermarket cooler looks more like a suggestion gauged for aesthetics than performance.

I went with lower maximum's in this build:

Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.69 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.49 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case w/450W Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $887.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-26 18:45 EDT-0400

OP, it'd be better if could pass on a budget for your build.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

That case has a huge 120 fan opening just on top of the CPU ...

ml07-34right-top.jpg

This is not the first time I work with this particular case .

it can even take 120 AIO water cooling..

http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/CASE/ML07_RVZ01_recommended_water_cooling_parts.pdf

this slim water cooling can fit as well

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=598&area=en

Lutfij

Titan
^ What the hell are you going on about? I said you have no need to go for an aftermarket cooler yet your come back line is with an AIO cooler and an opening above the CPU area? How much more did you add to the build with that AIO proposal?

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

I am just talking , giving you info about this case. Where did I put it in the build ?

I mean to say top blow fans and coolers work well because of this 120 fan openning . thats all .

Where is my proposal ? I cant see any . I am just giving info about the case capability. becasue you said "unless you have the side panel open"

Thats all.

Lutfij

Titan
I don't need info as we're familiar with parts and their places within a build. The OP needs them more than us. Suggestions made in any thread and counterpoints are all proposals. You'd know that since you're a self proclaimed professional.

In either case, you make your points stronger by refuting our objections and making your points sound. You're adding costs to something that will not benefit the build with FPS's or speed at which tasks are being performed isn't doing anyone any good except for more money spent/wasted. Had the build been built around a Core i-K suffix processor with room to overclock and bring out the potential of your build/parts then the aftermarket cooler, regardless of brand, would be the best suggestion and would not receive flack like you are.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

many people like more Quiet fans , and cooler running PC , some even use passive cooling in HTPC pay $100 for it ... I dont need to refute anything .. not needed is one thing, and "better" is another .

I am not the only one who recommends a good cooler in HTPC ... if you disagree fine by me , but to make it something critical that needs refuting ? I am giving him a cooler PC isnt that enough for you as justification ? besides why do I have to convince you any ways?

as a Professional I tell people Change the cooler for tight Places , you dont like it does not mean I am wrong . . Who told you that coolers are ONLY FOR OC and "K" ? sorry we disagree . and I am sure that the OP can tell "yes I Like it" or " No I dont want to spend more" .

it is BETTER , COOLER , LESS NOISY at full load . not enough for you ? fine we disagree and it stops at this. making me look like giving bad advice or wasting people money is wrong .

g-unit1111

Titan

Where? Where have you seen this? Most fans in this category don't really provide any more cooling than the stock fan does. Doesn't matter who the manufacturer is - could be Noctua, Cryorig, Raijintek, any of them. And don't get me started on noise levels - you can argue db levels all you want but there's no such thing as a truly silent fan. Every fan will make some sort of noise whether you want it to or not.

as a Professional I tell people Change the cooler for tight Places , you dont like it does not mean I am wrong . . Who told you that coolers are ONLY FOR OC and "K" ? sorry we disagree . and I am sure that the OP can tell "yes I Like it" or " No I dont want to spend more" .

Yes you are wrong here. Don't spend money when you don't have to. That should be the first rule of being a professional like you claim to be.

it is BETTER , COOLER , LESS NOISY at full load . not enough for you ? fine we disagree and it stops at this. making me look like giving bad advice or wasting people money is wrong .

Last I checked, spending $40 on a cooler you don't need is wasting money.

Lutfij

Titan
You've got a habit of hijacking the thread when you think that you've been attacked on a personal level. You're also wrong to think your convincing me. You're convincing the OP of this thread and by nature you're also establishing posts for the community to look upon and subsequently follow. I'm refuting the post not the poster per se since you're adding costs on an aspect that can be avoided and allocated elsewhere. Had the budget been stipulated and grounds established to allow for an aftermarket cooler to be prescribed regardless of the benefits then this is all pointless.

You might want to read through the posts my colleagues and other more remarkable posters have to say about adding aftermarket cooling. If you can't differentiate between what should be done and what can be done then this thread has yet again been brought to a standstill. I have other builds as well but if the budget is not present and the client's system does not need it, it's pointless bringing up the topic like a 3 year old asking for candy.

That low profile fan is noisier than you say it is to be since the blade construction and pitch of aforementioned fan blades cause for turbulence in a small area. If you've worked with Scythe Jyuni fans then you'll realize what I'm talking about. Noise is subjective matter since some folks can even notice the ticking of a fan motor at low rpm's or the whistle in the fan blades as they hit the cooling fins.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

First I am not a Hijacker , thanks .

second , If you talk about this fan , then thanks alot , Thats easy to do , instead of telling me "not better" just say that fan is noisy and I will use it as low RPM fan infront of the VGA openning (as you can see there are 2 fans still ordered) and we get a better Noctua fan to replace that fan , and it will fit will be 80 height total with noctua 25 thick fan ..

so instead of buying 2 extra fans for the GPU arrea fans , we just use the Rajentek over there at low RPM , and use a Noctua fan not THIN but regular ontop of that Pallas .

How about that ?

dont worry , I am professional enough .

we should help each other here okay ? there is a solution for everything .

dont worry.

Lutfij

Titan
It's common sense compounding one fan over the other negates the airflow...you should know that since you're a professional. Using this radiator heat dissipation chart as an example but the theory is the same
TFC480-Thermal5.png

Lower RPM's will mean less heat dissipation.

You also do realize that adding fans in that case isn't going to help with temperatures...right? You should read through the owners club on OCN to understand thermals in that chassis.

Followup, 2USD's shaved off but 1TB+storage added;

Motherboard: ASRock H170M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($97.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($86.14 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case w/450W Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $885.06
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-26 21:22 EDT-0400

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

I did not say put fan OVER the Pallas thin fan, I said REPLACE IT . take out the thin fan and use a 25 Noctua fan.

Actually the big brother of this case comes pre installed with 2 fans . in this case it is optional because its cheaper.

as for the intake fan infront of the VGA area , it does help if you use a blower VGA .

and finally , we allways use low rpm INTAKE fans ... I was talking about intake fans infront of gpu area nor radiator or heatsinkfan. .

Lutfij

Titan
So how much does your proposed build stand at? Adding those fans aren't cheap. I'll do it for you:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3167419/htpc-friend.html#18502143

970.88USD + Prolimatech fan(28.16USD)=999.04USD. Very bad allocation of funds. The Scythe Jyuni you linked is a fail since it's like a leaf blower sitting next to your ear even at it's lowest RPM. Heck I used it on my watercooling build and the fan controller couldn't even silence it. Once I did get it to bare minimum operating voltages I could still hear the ticking of the motor.

You're going in circles now with the fan placements and your budget.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

The OP already has 2 fans extra in his build . the Sp120 .. Thats Why I decided to give him my build , I judge from people choices what is in their mind.