more BSOD on win 10 than in years of Win 7

E1Diablo

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
I have had more issues in the past 6 weeks, than I have in several years of using Win 7. I first thought it was just a memory issues, so I bought new DDR 3 and I can't have it work faster than 1333mhz, when base is 2400. If I set it on bios to run at DDR3 2400 than it won't boot to windows, and I have to reset bios with my clear CMOS button. The closer I get to 2400 the more BSOD I get.

I have been getting "Machine Check Exemption"
and "Clock Watchdog Timeout".

I have a DxDiag I can upload, not sure to where though.
-E1Diablo

Solution
put your memory dump from c:\windows\minidump directory on a server like microsoft onedrive, share the files as public and post a link.

then change your memory dump type to kernel memory dump, when you get the next bugcheck put the kernel memory dump on a server and post the link again. most timeout errors require a kernel dump to debug them.

otherwise, update the motherboard drivers from the motherboard vendors website.
remove all overclocking drivers and make sure you are not overclocking in BIOS. (reset it to defaults)

if you are changing any bios memory timings then boot and run memtest to confirm your settings are ok before trying to run windows.

E1Diablo

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79
Intel Core i7-3930
Gskill TridentX 2400 4x8gb =32gb
MSI GeForce 670GTX
WD 500GB Black
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200w

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0,Build 14393)

notlim981

Distinguished

Also, please take note that the latest build of Windows 10 is 1607 (Anniversary Update), which contains a lot of fixes over your current build.

E1Diablo

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016

If I can keep my PC from BSOD long enough to update.

notlim981

Distinguished

If you have your data backed up you can perform a clean install with the latest ISO available (1607). Regarding the RAM issue you're experiencing, this does not relate to Windows 10 whatsoever. Either one of your RAM sticks are defective (you can check'em with MemTest86) or your motherboard could be the problem. Is your BIOS updated to the latest version provided by Asus?

E1Diablo

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
No bios updatell or chipset drivers for win 10 from asus. I do not have a disk to run I used a "free upgrade" to win 10 So I can't perform a clean install.

notlim981

Distinguished

Yes, you can. You can create a bootable USB stick with Windows by using the Windows Creation Tool provided by Microsoft, linked here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

As for your Motherboard, the latest BIOS available at the Asus website is version 4901, please check the link below to download it in case you need to update:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_EXTREME/HelpDesk_Download/

E1Diablo

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
I just did a clean install, I don't want to do that again if possible. Also I marked this as solved by accident.

I flashed the bios, it is now up to the most current.

E1Diablo

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
I did a clean install. So far so good. However that BS utility just erased 1tb of music and about 250gb of other data now lost forever.
I HATE WINDOWS 10. This is the worst version of Windows since ME.

notlim981

Distinguished

Excuse me, what BS utility is that? Please clarify, because if you are referring to the Windows Creation Tool, it does not erase files on your pc whatsoever.

E1Diablo

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
Well instead of installing on my USB, it installed on my 4tb drive. It formatted it and put it into fat32. I lost 2.5/3 TB of data. So yeah that utility is trash.

put your memory dump from c:\windows\minidump directory on a server like microsoft onedrive, share the files as public and post a link.

then change your memory dump type to kernel memory dump, when you get the next bugcheck put the kernel memory dump on a server and post the link again. most timeout errors require a kernel dump to debug them.

otherwise, update the motherboard drivers from the motherboard vendors website.
remove all overclocking drivers and make sure you are not overclocking in BIOS. (reset it to defaults)

if you are changing any bios memory timings then boot and run memtest to confirm your settings are ok before trying to run windows.

Solution

E1Diablo

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
My solution is to give up on win 10 at least until it is 100% stable. I have reverted to windows 7 which was stable for me since I built my pc in 2014. I was hoping I left enough time for Win 10 to be throughly debugged, however if I am getting BSOD from windows 8, obviously it isn't stable, at least not yet.

notlim981

Distinguished

Windows 10 is just as stable as 7 and 8/8,1 were, the system is now mature.

USAFRet

Titan

My main system built in 2012.
Minor changes...still the same motherboard/CPU/RAM.
Win 7, then 8, then 8.1, now 10.
Nary a bluescreen.

If you are getting frequent bluescreens, you have other issues going on. It is almost certainly not the OS.

(and the other 4 systems in the house, all Win 10...nary a bluescreen among them)