How noticable are frame rate drops above 60fps?

zombiehacker

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
I'm getting a GTX 1070 soon, and i'm wondering if i should bother with a 144hz monitor, or just stick with a 1080p 60fps monitor.

The reason i ask this is because in all benchmarks of the 1070 i see, it's always well above 60fps at 1080p, but can sometimes have drops over 30fps. However these FPS drops are usually changes like 110fps to 80fps. Would these dips be as significant and frustrating as say 60fps - 30fps?

Would anyone that has a 144hz monitor be willing to chime in on this? If it is still frustrating seeing those dips i will simply stick with 1080 60fps for the moment, as i know the 1070 will pretty much run any game out there at 60fps.

Solution
I disagree, large frame drops are noticeable in the form of microstutter. This happens even when the FPS is well above the refresh rate.

It depends on the game, if the frame timings are all over the place, then you would feel the FPS drop a lot sooner than if the frame timings were consistent.

GSync doesnt work in all games, but buy a GSync monitor, that would solve the issues youre trying to describe.

All the best!

pigeoncracker

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
Most, if not all lag is removed at 60 FPS. 144hz is a premium. It's like having 4k. Your eyes stop seeing the subtle differences around 3k, but they go the extra to eliminate the possibility that you could see it.

Most consoles run at 30 FPS, most computers run at 60 FPS. The 144hz is really nice as it gives you that extra headroom so you can leave V-Sync off and you don't really have to care if it drops down to 90 FPS. It's just insurance, I guess. And you can "release the beast" and not have to deal with screen tearing.

If you really want a pretty looking screen, you can always look into 1ms at 144hz and/or Gsync.

But, since you're switching from 1080p to 1440p, I would highly recommend the change. 1440p is glorious if you're used to 1080p.

drops on higher fps wont bother you at all. in the 80-110fps range your seeing many more frames in a shorter period of time, so the next frame is coming much sooner than 30-60fps in that second. the drop will be much shorter and less noticeable.

I disagree, large frame drops are noticeable in the form of microstutter. This happens even when the FPS is well above the refresh rate.

It depends on the game, if the frame timings are all over the place, then you would feel the FPS drop a lot sooner than if the frame timings were consistent.

GSync doesnt work in all games, but buy a GSync monitor, that would solve the issues youre trying to describe.

All the best!

Solution

pigeoncracker

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

I'm not too used to the monitors, so I'm learning. I remember playing around with my friend's and enjoying how completely smooth it is, even with FPS drops. Not having to deal with fps dropping and the game stuttering was my highlight.