microsoft office $99 per year?

silversleeper

Distinguished
May 19, 2014
Hello can someone please tell me why people buy the microsoft office $99 per year code rather than just buy a home office version of Office for like $79.00 and own it and not have to keep renewing it spend more money?

Thanks,

Tim

Solution
I am not a fan of leasing or renting but have been using Office 365 Home subscription for a couple of years. We have it installed on five family computers in four different locations. Word is used some, Excel more often, and mixed use for PowerPoint and Access. One system is a Mac.

I went with the lease decision as overall everyone's requirements (home, work, school) were met. However, those requirements have changed and will be changing more. And at $10 per month we could subscribe for quite a while before getting close to the full retail purchase price.

Good chance that I may move myself to ownership versus lease. Or even use open source software. Currently comparing notes with everyone involved - especially with school...

silversleeper

Distinguished
May 19, 2014
@encylopedia, thanks for the information... It's just hard for me to wrap my head around that fact that someone is willing to pay $99.00 a year after year. I know it may have a few options that other options of office have, it just seems like a incredible amount of money to spend. :)

Well for some people those software packages are needed a lot for work and so they maybe able to justify the cost. Just like I can justify the cost of Visual Studio Professional every few years. I use it for remote jobs and to keep my skills up to date.

silversleeper

Distinguished
May 19, 2014
@encyclopedia, what do you recommend?
I have win 10 and want to use Microsoft word and excel? I think last year someone gave me a link to download microsoft office 2010 trial period without a expiration date and I can not find that download any longer. It still works today on this desktop I am on now, but I am trying to get it for my new dell laptop and the original office expired

Ralston18

Titan
I am not a fan of leasing or renting but have been using Office 365 Home subscription for a couple of years. We have it installed on five family computers in four different locations. Word is used some, Excel more often, and mixed use for PowerPoint and Access. One system is a Mac.

I went with the lease decision as overall everyone's requirements (home, work, school) were met. However, those requirements have changed and will be changing more. And at $10 per month we could subscribe for quite a while before getting close to the full retail purchase price.

Good chance that I may move myself to ownership versus lease. Or even use open source software. Currently comparing notes with everyone involved - especially with school starting up for some family members. There may even be eligibility for a college discount package.

Lease versus buy is an ongoing business decision that is made everyday by many people professionally and personally. Always trade-offs for sure and sometimes not perfect either way. However, it is nice to have the lease vs buy option available.

Solution

silversleeper

Distinguished
May 19, 2014
@Ralston18, Thank you very much for your feedback...

Colif

Win 11 Master
i got the cheapest Office 365 but pay it yearly, as you say Rocky, it works out cheaper in long run, and you always have latest versions of Office. Before this I had Office 2007 and it only lasted so long as Office is expensive.

I use Office as its expected that my assignments in my course are written in Office documents.

USAFRet

Titan
Different people have different needs.
Me, I must have Access included, along with Word/Excel/PPT. My wife only needs Word and Excel.

Also, a lot of people get Office dirt cheap from work or school.
Home Use Program gets me Office Pro for $10. Your school or employer may offer the same.

A business may go with a lease option, for various financial/tax reasons. Own vs rent goes in different columns on the budget.
And they always have 'the latest' version.