How do I dual boot Windows 7 with Windows 10? (Windows 10 is the current OS)

Rookie_Buttle_1976

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
Hello everyone,

I tried to dual boot Windows 7 with Windows 10 (Windows 10 is the current OS) but I ran into a problem, I realized the Windows 10 was installed using UEFI not Legacy OS. I didn't want to switch to Legacy OS since I knew Windows 10 wouldn't be bootable. Is there any way around this? or am I just gonna have to stick to just Windows 10.

In case you need it, here's my PC specs

Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

AMD A4 CPU, 2.5 GHz (Can be pushed to 2.9 GHz)

6GB of RAM (4.9GB Usable)

(If you need more information, I'm happy to give more.)

Thanks,
Rookie.

Edit: By switching to Legacy I mean when I tried to install Windows 7 on UEFI it froze at the Windows 7 boot up screen.

Solution
most of the methods expect you to have 7 on first and install win 10 onto a partition that way. http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/

Starting with 10 only works if you set bios to legacy first and then win 10 would install on an MBR disc, letting you install win 7 after. but then boot loader would get all mixed up as the win 7 would over write it.

there is no easy way to do it starting from 10.

Colif

Win 11 Master
most of the methods expect you to have 7 on first and install win 10 onto a partition that way. http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-with-windows-7-or-8/

Starting with 10 only works if you set bios to legacy first and then win 10 would install on an MBR disc, letting you install win 7 after. but then boot loader would get all mixed up as the win 7 would over write it.

there is no easy way to do it starting from 10.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
windows 10 will boot from legacy bios. i have a couple systems like that myself.

probably the easiest way will be to put win 7 onto a separate hdd with no other drives connected. then when booting up, you can go to the boot menu and pick which drive to boot to each time. it will default to whichever one you tell it to in the bios under boot menu.

the other one you get to through the boot menu on start-up. usually it's f12 i believe that gets to the menu but you mobo may be different.

that's the easiest way i can think of to do it the ay you are set-up now

Colif

Win 11 Master
i know it boots from legacy but you have to set it up like that when its formatted. I said that, it just won't boot from legacy if set up on GPT which is default on any motherboard with an UEFI bios. Since I don't know what motherboard op has, I am assuming its UEFI since they been around for last 6 years or so.

I thought of 2 drives as well but at that stage I would just buy a bigger drive and put win 7 then 10 on and put the other drive away as backup or format it and use it as storage. That is easiest way.

rmn726

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
You must have 2 different hdd to make it work.
Windows 10 uses gpt but windows 7 won't support gpt.
It doesn't matter what you install first or what install after only thing matters that u need 2 different hdd to make it work.
After installation of both os you can switch via bios by choosing the bootable hdd.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
windows 7 does support gpt. i have a system running it now with win 7. last time i set up a dual boot, win 7 installed itself as gpt on it's own and i had to redo the install to switch back to mbr which is what i wanted it to be.

not sure where this has come from but win 7 works fine on gpt.

Rookie_Buttle_1976

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016

Sorry for the late reply, The motherboard IS UEFI but it is compatible of switching to Legacy Mode. I currently have Windows 10 from UEFI but as far as I know, Windows 7 dosen't like to run on UEFI. I have a 64 bit PC also if that helps.

Thanks for the solutions, I'll update you if any of your tips work. I do have seperate HDDs which I can use (I think) and taking the hard drive out of my laptop only takes 1 screw and a unplug of a cable.

Rookie_Buttle_1976

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
I think I've come up with a solution. Thanks to the advice of Colif I realised If I formatted my current hard disk to MBR (I know very risky, but this computer is old and I'll be getting a new desktop to replace it soon) switched over to Legacy in BIOS and install Windows 7 64 bit THEN thanks to the genius idea that Colif said of "Starting with 10 only works if you set bios to legacy first and then win 10 would install on an MBR disc, letting you install win 7 after." I could do exactly that.

What do you think? Would that screw up my PC or could it work?

Rookie_Buttle_1976

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016

You magical beast. You solved it! Thank you Colif I finally have Windows 7 & 10 Dual Booted!

:bounce: Thanks for everyone's soloutions, you all rock!