Weird freezing and BSoD

patchdog67

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
Ok, so I recently built a PC for the first time and ever since I got it working I've been having issues. I will list at the bottom the parts in my build.

After some time running, usually between 1 hour to 6 hours running, the computer will start playing up. It is not always consistent. I will list each thing it does.

1. Freeze completely, from there I may get a BSoD, but usually I have to force restart
2. play staticky computer noise from my speakers. If I unplug them I get BSoD. I can still use my computer if I don't touch the audio jack.
3. Audio will cut out and similar to 2, if i unplug my audio jack I get BSoD. I can still use my computer if I don't touch the audio jack.
4. any combination of mouse, keyboard, Bluetooth or speakers stop responding. this will either require a force restart or end in BSoD

When either of these things occur, a solid red light appears on my case (I don't know what its called but I'm pretty sure it is something to do with processing). the BSoD error I get each time is Critical_Process_Died. I have tried looking in the event viewer but it doesn't make much sense to me.

My computer seems to be running fine when it does run, no program seems to obviously set off the issue. CPU doesn't overheat at all. I also have my drivers updated to the latest. I also have 3 hard drives, 2 from my old PC (SSD and HDD) and a new SSD which my OS is installed on. I am also running Windows 10 Education Edition.

If anyone can shed some light on this or help me try and diagnose this issue that would be absolutely awesome. As I'm typing this I am currently having the 3rd issue on the list, where if i unplug my speakers, i will get BSoD. If anyone needs more info just ask.

My Specs:

Motherboard,
ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ ATX Motherboard

CPU,
AMD FX-9590 Black Edition 8-Core Socket AM3+ 4.7GHz Processor

GPU,
ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Turbo 8GB Video Card

RAM,
G.SKILL RipjawsX 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Memory F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL

Case,
Aerocool GT-RS ATX Windowed Mid Tower Case - Black

SSD with my OS installed,
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD MZ-V5P256BW

PSU,
Cougar STX 750W 80 Plus Power Supply

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its possible your problems are both hardware and software. Numbers 1 & 4 aren't normal windows problems, though 4 might be. Windows doesn't cause freezes, it BSOD and lets you know why its crashed.

I can't find any reviews on your power supply, I am not sure I would have matched that PC to a non top tier power supply. Here is a review of one of their other models and it makes me worry about one you have: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/cougar-rs-650-w-power-supply-review/8/ It could be cause of 1 & possibly 4.

I think other two are drivers.

Can you download and run who crashed: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
it will look at error logs and give us a summary, may mention name of driver responsible,

Copy/paste results in here.

Go look on Asus web site for motherboard drivers, it is likely to be either chipset drivers or realtek Audio drivers: https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/970-PRO-GAMING-AURA/HelpDesk_Download/

could also be USB since they power down as well.

Can you also follow option one here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c/windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone will help you fix it :)

I can help with who crashed but can't read the dumps.

patchdog67

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
Hi Colif

I doubt it's the drivers, I have used Slim Drivers and Drivers Easy to make sure all the drivers were correct and up to date. I do remember seeing one of the Asus programs in the crash log once, ASGT.exe. I disabled it to no avail so I think that's more of a symptom than a cause. If I did need to download drivers from the link listed which ones should I download? I'm not sure what the chipset drivers are.

whocrashed:
http://imgur.com/kues6Pj

I'm not sure what I'm looking at with the who crashed stuff so if you could explain a bit that would be awesome :)

I have done the small dump thing, next time it crashes I'll attach the file here.

EDIT

here is a link to the minidump file
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8mtI1ydCHgtSklxYXNLbUtUY0E

it froze like I described in 1, I had to force restart. The red light doesn't appear on my case when this happens btw.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hi There, you have 2 major problems with this build. 1 is the FX-9590 should ONLY be used with 990FX based motherboards. 2 is you need an extremely high quality PSU to run it, of which the Cougar you purchased is not. Also what are you using to cool it? If you are not using a liquid cooler then that is another source of problems.

The FX-9590 is in short, a problem processor. its a heavily factory overclocked FX-8350, it needs very specific motherboards that can handle its 220w tdp, and in reality it can spike as high as 300w. Not only that its performance is not worth all the money you will put into it, you can easily beat it in most gaming tasks with a mid range i5. Even with the correct motherboard and PSU we have many users that have disabled turbo or underclocked their 9590's due to stability issues like you speak of.

You need to return both that motherboard and that PSU. Get the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX, and get an EVGA 750G2 PSU to power it all. (Keep in mind AMD reccomends a 1000w psu for that CPU, but a good 750 should get you by). If you can return the whole deal I would recommend that.

EDIT: Just noticed 1 more thing that may be the crux of your problems, the FX-9590 maxes at 1866mhz memory, so trying to run 2133mhz memory in it may also be causing stability issues.

patchdog67

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
Hey, I've been busy so ive had to set aside fixing this for a while.

an update: I've returned the FX-9590 and got a FX-8350. I changed the power options as well and I no longer get BSoD.

I still have an issue where after an indeterminate amount of time all the USB will disconnect and the audio will cut out. Some of these times the sound will go all glitchy but rarely. Someone reccomended to me that the audio jumpers and the USB jumpers on the motherboard may be backward or something like that, I looked up and the only jumper on my MoBo is one for RAM.

Another issue i've been having that may be seprate or not is that one of my ram cards isnt showing. I've done a memory test twice and it doesnt find any glitches. I've check that all the ram cards are inserted correctly and they are and I've checked that my MoBo can take the RAM and it should be able to (4x 4gb ram, MoBo max ram is 32 gb)

here is a link to a video i took of the sound my pc makes when the usb and audio ah heck up. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8mtI1ydCHgteFNJVHItaWVRcUU/view?usp=sharing

patchdog67

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016

Ok so i did that, also did that with the RAM to see if it solved that issue. I'll play some games for a bit and see how it goes.

While I was booting it back up I noticed the BOOT_DEVICE_LED is solid red. In the user guide for my MoBo it says that if it is flashing this indicates an error, and that the light should be orange? I'm not sure what thats ment to mean. Motherboard is ASUS 970 Pro Gaming Aura

As for the Ram issue, Im guessing its a faulty card. I switched the positions the cards were in and in the bios the ram slot A2 shows as empty whereas before it was B2 that showed as empty.

patchdog67

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016

Issue still happens, the cpu looked fine when i checked, none of the pins seemed bent or anything.

patchdog67

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016

The rest of the ram shows up just fine in the bios, its just one that doesnt. I'll try running just 2 ram cards, with the faulty one removed. my pc is only using 2 of them anyway.

Edit: I notice something diffrent when i open up the bios with only two ram sticks. the slots w/o ram show as N/A whereas before with the ramstick not showing that slot was just blank

Edit 2: issue still persists, ive been getting a BSoD with the error unexpected_store_exeption

JaxinJabb

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
Did anyone find a fix for this? I have the same issue with the same motherboard. Only when using my speakers do I get the bsod but no issues with wireless headset. Had the same issue with the ram but found that swapping slots solved the issue.

patchdog67

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
my friend and I are thinking my issue is with the old harddrives I recovered from my old computer, or the new one I bought. I ran it for a while without the old harddrives and it seemed to work ok. havent had time to test which one is causing the crash, if it even is. will update if that is the solution. all the harddrives passed a scan for errors though.

I think we're having slightly diffrent issues JaxinJabb. I found my ram issue was actually just a broken ram card, im returning it for a refund. plus mine will crash with no audio plugged in.

patchdog67

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
Update, ive given the pc to my friend. he's got some free time and knows more than I do so he's going to do a bunch of testing. so far the harddrives and 2 of the ram sticks ive left in there are all seemingly fine. he's trying each piece sepratly to see whats causing the issue. i will update if we find anything.