Programs Creating Folders in "Documents" Instead of Proper Location

LifeIs

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
After Installing a program on my D drive (My driver that doesn't host Windows) the program will create files on my C drive in "Documents" instead of "Program Files" "Program Files (x86)". If anyone could help me change/fix this I would appreciate it.

Here is an image of my documents: http://i.imgur.com/2Xz8zyA.png (there were more folders, but I deleted them)

LifeIs

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016

This happens to every program I download is there a way to make them go to the correct location which I am assuming is "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)".

notlim981

Distinguished

Well if you're talking about the installation folder, that must be changed during the installation process, you have to choose the advanced installation to do so instead of the Standard (or recommended) installation.

USAFRet

Titan

Also, know the difference between 'download' and 'install'.

You download an application, then you install it.

LifeIs

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016

I always change my installation folder to my D drive, but after I open a the program it will create a new folder in documents.
For example: I downloaded and installed "Overwatch" to my D drive and the game launches fine and is playable, but If i change settings within the game a folder is then created in Documents. This occurs in every program I open and use.
Edit: Also if i delete or move the folder from documents and reopen the program it just recreates the folder in documents.

USAFRet

Titan

"Every program"?

You have some weird stuff going on.
Have you done anything with the Location of the Documents folder?

LifeIs

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016

Im not sure if I have I don't know how to undo it.

LifeIs

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016

Mostly games but other programs too like that ShareX program. It stores all the screenshots I take with it there and I don't have enough space on that hard drive for things like that and I won't allow me to move the files elsewhere.

Colif

Win 11 Master
do you have two drives? why not just move your documents folder onto another drive?

Its easy to do. Make a folder called documents on the hdd and then follow this: http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-change-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10/ (no offence at link, it just explains it simply with pics).

LifeIs

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016

I will try this thank you.