GPU or PCI dead?

msl333

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
hi

recently ive been having an issue, i ve always keep my pc on all the time, is an entry level server, so i dont worry, lately, i find my monitors shut down( like its supposed to) but them i try to wake them up but the display wont return(the display is the only thing that sleeps, disks and everything are always on), even after a hard reset, the display wont come, not even the bios display

what i did has disconnect my gpu, disconnected the pc, and restarted with my integrated graphics, everyhing works fine.

then i reconnected my gpu, and it works again, that for like 2 days, until the whole situation repeats itself

what do you thing? is my gpu dying? is my PCI socket damaged?

what i am doing now, is retrying the card in another pci slot in the same pc, if this happens again, then ill know my slots are fine

should i oven my gpu then? hahah

context

gpu is cheap $100 gt740, so i would not be surprised if it is dying

also, each time this happens, the gpu losses the display settings, and i have to reconfigure, could this point out to a bad gpu?

what do you thing?

msl333

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
i am self answering,

so

after some research and trial and error, I determined that something in my video card is faulty, when the displays go to sleep, they cant wake up, because windows also had a PCI express power saving mode, which cuts power to the card, and then the faulty card fails to bring back the display when power is brought back on.

there is a temporary solution, go to your power settings and change the PCI express power saving mode, to off. Also I set the displays to never sleep, just in case, and shut the pc down at night.

I will do these until my video card dies fully, but so far so good, everything works fine.