Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
Hey, Dan here.

Specs:
Windows 10 Education

M5A78L-M/USB Motherboard
Western Digital 1 TB Hard Drive
16 gb ram (2x 8)

Since installing windows 10, I have encountered a Disk usage error, which I can't solve using any of the recommended fixes from other forum posts.

For the most part, this seems to be attributed to "System and Compressed Memory", more specifically "Ntoskrnl".

I have attempted a range of "High Disk Usage" Fixes, such as running anti-malware software, disabling windows notifications, disabling services like BITS , and disabled Windows Search.

I have had this Disk usage issue over the span of 4 different FRESH Western Digital Hard Drives, of which I highly doubt a faulty drive is the issue. Of the 4 freshly installed Windows 10, I begin to encounter this issue during different lifespans of using said fresh installed windows.

It's also worth mentioning that on any of these 4 different Harddrives, I haven't exceed more than 15% of the disk space.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

danmanr98

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015

It's PID 4, of which is System and Compressed Memory, More specifcally NTOSKRNL.exe
This process seamingly can't be ended :(

Colif

Win 11 Master
how much is it using?

You can't stop it as its how windows manages memory now. Instead of closing programs you have run since last restart, windows compresses it into ram, and system and compressed memory manages the compressed files. That is why it seems to grow and eat ram. It is only when you run something that needs all of your ram, that it writes the files to the page file on SSD/HDD. Easiest way to reduce its use is buy more ram, do you use all your ram often?

having said that, have you checked you have latest chipset drivers as it can't be the hard drives. Do you have latest bios?

did you try disabling prefetch? http://www.technipages.com/windows-enable-disable-superfetch

danmanr98

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015

It hits a constant 100% Disk activity when literally nothing other than Base services are running. Imagine starting up you PC waiting roughly 5-10 mins for every nomal startup service to load. After that haopens normally, your Disc usage randomly skyrockets to 100% even without running any program. In other words; No excessive RAM is being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.