VA Panels vs IPS Panels vs TN Panels

apisorder

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I was just wondering if VA panels are inherently less prone to flickering than IPS or TN.

I saw a YouTube video that compares in-game performance and general Windows usage on 24" 1080P monitors that run at 144Hz versus 60Hz, and while it was evident that with 144Hz, you just see more frames than with 60Hz in-game (and with fewer frames at 60Hz I also experience more headache, not eyestrain), however, the visual improvement was not nearly as discernable in typical Windows usage.

I have been using a HP Prodisplay P222VA, and found something strange.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/monitors/product-detail.html?oid=7523311

I read that VA is more responsive than IPS but slower than TN, and that VA is also less color accurate than IPS but more then TN.

But while I experience no discomfort when viewing a TN (less motion blur but the panel is somewhat "dim," with color distortion) /IPS panel (extremely vibrant, but also annoyingly glaring), I found VA panels to be much more comfortable (maybe because it has anti-glare), all refreshed at 60Hz (which is strange, because I used to overclock my CRT to 100Hz+ because at 60Hz or even 75 or so, I would still experience flickering. I do know that they are completely different, but still, it puzzles me.)

So are VA panels inherently better for viewing or it's because of the anti-glare coating?

Thanks.

Solution
VA actually has got better color accuracy due to the higher contrast and lower defect ratio. It's able to display more accurate colors, IPS is not too far behind, but when they have a lot of defects and VA don't (which is usually the case), the color accuracy of IPS quickly drops.

On the topic of color accuracy, it should be ignored unless it's your job. Yes, being a YouTuber is considered a job, but it's completely pointless to have a 100% accurate monitor. Majority of viewers use different browsers, different devices, different display types, different apps running and so on. These matter when display color, so it's often something that's just taken way out of proportion. There's more placebo than accurate colors just to keep this...
VA actually has got better color accuracy due to the higher contrast and lower defect ratio. It's able to display more accurate colors, IPS is not too far behind, but when they have a lot of defects and VA don't (which is usually the case), the color accuracy of IPS quickly drops.

On the topic of color accuracy, it should be ignored unless it's your job. Yes, being a YouTuber is considered a job, but it's completely pointless to have a 100% accurate monitor. Majority of viewers use different browsers, different devices, different display types, different apps running and so on. These matter when display color, so it's often something that's just taken way out of proportion. There's more placebo than accurate colors just to keep this short.

TN, VA, IPS don't matter when you talk about refresh rate, unless you include price.

There's more to eye strain/headache and ComputerVisionSyndrome in general that nobody can ever make an accurate recommendation for someone, it's simply not possible. Even the chair you use plays a part when it comes to headaches...

All the best!

Solution