1080p or 1080i for 30 fps gaming?

SlayerOfThePoor

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Hi, I recently bought a PS4, but whenever I try to play games at it I have to stop cause of the "insane" screen tearing whenever I move the camera (also, if foliage is pressent I can see that it slightly changes colour). I know the difference between 1080p and 1080i, but what I do not know is which would be better for gaming at 30 fps.

Which one will remove/lessen the tear? ( I welcome motion blur as I do not find it disturbing.)

Thank you for any answers and contributions.

Currently using a 1080P Native TV. 40'

Solution
as stated above, screen tearing is due to your input fps being greater than your device can handle. basically its caused from the two not being in sync.

the ps4 should not be capable of causing screen tearing and i would instead look elsewhere for your problem

suggested things to look into:
-new hdmi cable. cheap or low quality hdmi cables have been known to cause artifacts similar to screen tearing
-use game mode (50/60hz mode) on your tv and avoid any post processing effects. post processing effects like clear motion, etc cause nothing but lag and problems for games and pc use. generally this is two part: turning off the strobing effect (clear motion or similar) and also turning off the frame doubling (100hz, 200hz etc). game mode...

SlayerOfThePoor

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

Framerate of the TV is 50hz upscaled to 120 via (Clear motion index) from TCL. Since I can't turn that one off, I need to find another solution

as stated above, screen tearing is due to your input fps being greater than your device can handle. basically its caused from the two not being in sync.

the ps4 should not be capable of causing screen tearing and i would instead look elsewhere for your problem

suggested things to look into:
-new hdmi cable. cheap or low quality hdmi cables have been known to cause artifacts similar to screen tearing
-use game mode (50/60hz mode) on your tv and avoid any post processing effects. post processing effects like clear motion, etc cause nothing but lag and problems for games and pc use. generally this is two part: turning off the strobing effect (clear motion or similar) and also turning off the frame doubling (100hz, 200hz etc). game mode is by default without this silly extra post processing. this may require the use of a particular hdmi port as well.
-test on another tv just as a check

Solution