Best GPU - limited to <25-W power consumption, and Low-Profile size

6g72_12a

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
Hello all! I'm looking for suggestions and opinions on a new graphics card.

I have an HP 8100 Elite Small Form Factor PC, with the following specs -

-Intel Core i5-660 Processor 3.33-GHz, 4M total cache 2 cores/4 threads

-Integrated Intel HD Graphics Intel Core processor with vPro technology

-Intel Stable Image Platform Program (SIPP)

-4GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-10600 (1333MHz) non ECC (2 x 2GB)

-320GB Hard Disk Drive 7,200 rpm, 8MB cache, 3.0GB/s, 3.5 in drive

-Intel HD Graphics (integrated)

-240 W active PFC

-Windows 7 Professional x64

And I am looking to install a GPU that will perform better than the stock on-board integrated Intel graphics. Namely, I am interested in playing a racing simulator, Assetto Corsa. I have read of others using this system, and equally capable systems to play the game...So I feel as though I will be able to once I obtain a better GPU, as that seems to be my current bottleneck.

I believe (from looking at the technical reference for my PC) that I am not only limited to a Low-Profile card, due to the SFF case, but that I am also limited to a card with less than 25 Watts power consumption, as it appears that the PCI-e x16 slot available will only supply 25 Watts. I have included a screen shot from the technical reference, so that someone can confirm my thoughts on the power consumption - (link to reference page http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02034672 )

My question is, am I overlooking anything...and what do you all think would be the best possible options (graphics card wise) given my constraints?

Please forgive me for any newbie mistakes, as this is my first time on this forum. I have built PC's in the past, so I am familiar with these things, but I am nowhere near a professional. If I can provide any additional information, I would be more than glad to do so! Thank you all in advance!

Sinistercr0c

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
The only card I can find that matches your requirements is an AMD R7 240 low profile GPU. It draws a maximum of 30w so I can't say for certain you won't have any issues but I honestly would not have thought so, given that the ATX specification for PCI-E is to provide up to 75w via the motherboard slot itself.

That being said the R7 should provide a reasonable increase in performance over your onboard GPU.

See the list on Techpowerup for the differenct manufacturers of this particular card:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b2536/msi-r7-240-low-profile

* To caveat the above - Even with this card your performance in game will depend on your monitor resolution and in game detail settings. don't expect 60 FPS at 1080p with everything cranked up to max detail in game. You really need to set your expections low as this is not a gaming GPU by any modern definition of the word.

6g72_12a

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016

Thank you. And yes, I should have myself added a disclaimer to that effect in my OP...but this is by no means intended to be a top of the line gaming rig. I just happened upon this PC and want to make the best of it on the cheap. I plan on running a lower than 1080 resolution, and minimal PP effects, etc...I only expect ~20fps or so. I just want to actually get it to run. :p

TRENDING THREADS