Is it the GPU or RAM that matter most?

algis0762

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
At a point where I cant make the decision and need some expert advise. Price aside; if 2 cards are very close in matter of GPU (ex.: GTX660ti GTX 760) but the price ifference would add more RAM to the (slightly) slower card.

GTX 660ti 1GB DDR3 < GTX 760 1GB DDR3
GTX 660ti 2GB DDR3 ~ GTX 760 1GB DDR3 <== Which is faster?

Also; is it worth to consider DDR5 or DDR3 still fast enough?

Thank you Guys,

Algis

THERE ARE NO DDR3 VERSIONS OF THOSE CARDS!

Both those cards come in 2GB GDDR5 minimum. The 760 only comes in 4GB GDDR5 as well, and both the 2GB and 4GB versions are significantly faster than the 660Ti

If you are being told 1GB or DDR3, those are signs that you are being scammed!

Unless the prices are under $50, don't get either

neblogai

Distinguished
DDR3 was only fast enough maybe 10 years ago- it is not worth considering these days. And I do not remember there being DDR3 variants of 660Ti and 760- but I recently saw a chinese counterfeit card (GTX 560 I think) being sold at half price as a GTX660Ti I think.

algis0762

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
It is an example; I have the complete table and chose randomly two close GPU. Those are not real examples; just to make my question understood. Sorry if I expressed myself wrongly.

What the hell is your freaking question then? You CANNOT compare two model numbers without actually comparing two actual MODELS. The model numbers and actual performance are non-linear at best, closer to an ordered random system with increasing offset

GPU power vs VRAM? Id say both are equally important, if you dont have enough of either one your gaming experience will be limited. As you get more powerful gpu's you can run higher settings or resolutions which eat VRAM.

When you see high amounts of VRAM on lower end cards its more a marketing tactic than an actual requirement. Take the 480 8gb, it hasn't a hope of using all that, its not strong enough but it sounds good when people do are it to 6gb of the 1060 which to me is arguably a stronger card.

algis0762

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
Don't shoot right now... I got the table here at Tom's

Capture.JPG

I just tried to be quick; not confusing. So for everyone' sake; Is the GTX 1060 vs R9 390X AMD but then it is just a matter of sheer speed in a benchtest report. I don't game; but I need much faster graphic for Photoshop/Illustrator/3DS Max rendering. I also occasionally re-encode movies.

Thank you everyone - Stay cool and cheers.

algis0762

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016

That's exactly the answer I was looking for :)

Thanks sizzling