Using Windows 10 multiple times

Kiwi007

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
I'm not very tech savvy but I wanted to know if you could use a copy of Windows 10 on multiple PCs. I read that you'd need a license, but then I also read that you can use Windows 10 without one. So I'm confused, but any clarity would help because I'm planning on buying a copy soon and I have multiple computers. Thanks in advance

Solution
You must have a unique Product Key for each machine. No one here will assist you in circumventing this.

If you use the same key for more than one machine, the first machine that Product Key is used with will activate and be legitimate. Every subsequent install on different machines will result in the OS not activating. While it will work (with some limitations), you will be constantly nagged that the copy of Windows on those machines isn't Genuine.

Technically you only need one install media (USB / DVD) as the Product Key isn't tied to the media itself. So you can get one USB key (or buy an 8GB key and use the Media Creation Tool), then purchase all the Product Keys you need online.

Fairace

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
You only can use it without one if your upgrading to windows 10. Most systems have the key on the motherboard. As far as running multiple of the same windows 10 its not possible unless its in a VM environement.

Kiwi007

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
I was too late to get it while it was free, but I was thinking of buying a USB with windows 10 from the online microsoft store itself and I was wondering if I could use that copy on to multiple PCs.
So not upgrading from an old OS, but reformatting and installing windows 10 from a USB

Kiwi007

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
Darn. So what would happen if it were installed on multiples? Would one just shut the other off?
Also is there any way left to get windows 10? Since the free upgrade alerts stopped and I'm a little pressed for money at the moment which is why I asked if I can install windows 10 to multiple PCs

You must have a unique Product Key for each machine. No one here will assist you in circumventing this.

If you use the same key for more than one machine, the first machine that Product Key is used with will activate and be legitimate. Every subsequent install on different machines will result in the OS not activating. While it will work (with some limitations), you will be constantly nagged that the copy of Windows on those machines isn't Genuine.

Technically you only need one install media (USB / DVD) as the Product Key isn't tied to the media itself. So you can get one USB key (or buy an 8GB key and use the Media Creation Tool), then purchase all the Product Keys you need online.

Solution

darky26

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
I installed Windows 10 on my desktop without a License and have been using it that way for over 6 months now. It works just as good as a Licensed version as I have not had any issues yet. Only difference is on the bottom right corner of the screen you would see a message saying Windows is not activated.

Kiwi007

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

Concise and lot less confusing than most of what I read elsewhere lol
Ah well, thanks for clearing things up at least