Hesitant to try a scratched CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Z

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
I bought a used Xeon E5-2675v3 CPU but it's pretty badly scratched on the bottom so I'm hesitant to try it. I mean nothing seems to be critically damaged but it's pretty banged up with some big scratches.

Pics:
ZbI4D7G.png

1ThgaMh.png

EMHlMsr.png

YbRgqX8.png

zVCtOkj.png

np0kpBb.png

Or all in one gallery: http://imgur.com/a/2eJpy

I'm probably going to return it but I'm curious what you guys think.

Thanks.

If i'm not mistaken, If I am please correct me, The green on the bottom of the CPU is actually meant to prevent current from jumping from one pin on the LGA to another without going through the CPU. Back in the day when Overclocking was done by hardware mods we would use either a pencil or rear window defroster repair kits to jump the current from one pin to a different pin. Many don't remember these days anymore.

This is why I would be very hesitant on trying that CPU as the current could jump and hurt the CPU, and potentially the motherboard also.

The green stuff is just there to protect the underlying traces. It's a film to prevent the metal from oxidizing. Most of the scratches I see are nothing to worry about, purely cosmetic. Picture 3 looks like it could be raw copper, but it likely already connects the two closest pins there so there's no risk or a short. If it really bothers you, you could use a toothpick and microscope and apply the tiniest amount of super glue or nail polish to cover the exposed copper and prevent it from oxidizing over time (couple years or more in hot dry PC environment) you only need to cover the red bit not the gold. Assuming of course that is metal and not just the color of the underlying substrate showing through.

Its always important to remember that everything looks much worse under magnification.

lezter

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017

Hi,
Recently I've also bought two used Xeon E5-2683 v3, which came with scratches on the contact pads. Though my scratches are smaller and more minor compared to yours.
Now I'm wondering whether to return them now or wait for 7-10 days for motherboard with compatible socket and test them. Never had experience with scratched CPUs before, and don't know how big scratches should be to affect them.
So wanted to ask you, have you returned your CPU or tested it? Was it working?
Thanks.

PS: sorry for using this thread instead of sending private message. Can't send private messages yet, as I've just registered my account.

Agent Z

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012

Hey, I returned it without ever trying it.

The price of the CPU and the motherboard I wanted to use it in wasn't that cheap that I would just play around like that.

The guy who I bought it from had a return policy but practically laughed at me and thought I wanted to scam him when I told him I want to return it without even testing it. I argued that even if it would work for a quick test, if even just one of the pins have weak connectivity then long term stability is out of the window.

After some back and forth he agreed for a return (mainly because my account on the trading site was old with plenty of positive feedback) and we agreed that we just have different definitions and expectation of "used CPUs", both apologised and walked away.

Even in hindsight I'm glad I didn't try it even though most people here would do so. I was just not comfortable with using it in a new system where stability was key.

lezter

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017

Thanks for the reply.
Indeed, used CPU shouldn't have scratches, if CPU was used as a CPU and not as a shovel.
I've carefully reexamined my Xeons and now think they are in worse condition. Well, I already ordered compatible motherboard simultaneously with processors, it should arrive next week. So first I will test them and later decide what to do. I don't think CPU will damage MB. Motherboard can damage CPU (by supplying wrong voltage, for example), but not vice versa.

Photos of my processors: gallery

Agent Z

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012

lezter

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017

Finally tested them last week, they both work. Tried to stress test them, and it looks like they are stable under full utilization. Couldn't overheat them above ~50°C though, room air was cool. During summer it will be different, but I don't expect this will affect them.
So I'm going to keep them.

Status
Not open for further replies.